Letter to the editor: SGA President Mitch Vieira addresses the student public

First, I would like to take a moment and welcome you to a new academic year!  As you get settled into your new classes and reintroduce yourselves to a set schedule, I would like to make you aware of some great things that are happening in your student government.

One of our greatest accomplishments in the last several weeks has been our new branding campaign. We have entered the year with a new logo and greater presence on the Internet. We are now active on Twitter (follow us at SuffolkSGA), Facebook (Like our page – Suffolk SGA), and coming soon: a revamped website. Please take a few minutes to visit these social media outlets and check out the variety of information published several times daily for you! Our goal is to make important information about student life readily available for anyone to access.  We have also unveiled a new logo and PR campaign: Powered By SuffolkSGA. Our first major showing was at the Temple Street Fair where we had the chance to meet with several hundred of our fellow students. Hopefully you were able to stop by our eye-catching lime green table and get a few giveaways. I would like to thank Courtney Porcella, Public Relations Chair, and the Public Relations Committee for their diligent work on this.

We are excited to welcome several new members to our organization as a result of our annual fall election. For the Freshmen Class of 2014: Senators Natalie Breen, Rachel Brown, Scott Feinberg, Conor Finley, Vito Gallo, Shannon Lazarovich, Brianna McGrath, Mariah Nolan, and Nick Ryan. Also, for the Class of 2014 is Member at Large Sarah Fraenkel.  For the Class of 2012, Senator Cate Connerty. The Senior Class of 2011 also elected Eric Fernberg to serve them. We additionally filled several Senator at Large seats during this election. For the Sawyer Business School, we welcome Russell Dukett to SGA, and for Residence Life, we are excited to work with Patrick Munnelly. Lastly, Rebecca Goldstein joins us as the Senator at Large for NESAD. I can gladly speak for the Executive Board in welcoming these new Senators to the organization.

These new Senators, as well as the other members of the organization, took part in our annual retreat this past weekend in Springfield where everyone received training in Robert’s Rules of Procedure, Diversity and Bias Awareness (Thanks Craig Cullinane!), as well as our SGA Constitution and By-Laws. We also had a fantastic Strategic Planning session that helped develop our plan for the year.

In closing, I look forward to providing you with bi-weekly updates on your Student Government and would like to thank the editors for this great opportunity. If you have any questions, issues, or concerns, please feel free to contact SGA at [email protected] or (617) 573-8322.  We are your advocates and voice on campus!