Students weigh their options at the Major and Minor Expo

Sarianna Quarne

On Oct. 22, the Major and Minor Fair was held at Ridgeway Gym in order to help create connections and network with professors. This way, students could learn about the careers different majors and minors can offer them after college. 

“[The event’s goal is] to offer a way for students to have more access to [take] control of their own education, to network with faculty and [to find out] more about the academic options here at Suffolk,” said Tim Brown, an advisor at Suffolk’s Undergraduate Academic Advising Center.

Tables with information from each major and minor on campus were set up throughout the gym. Students could approach these tables in order to learn more about the major and talk to faculty in the department. 

Sarianna Quarne / Journal Contributor

An organizer for the event and a representative from the Career Development Center, Christelle Paul, said the event was a good chance for students to know their options.  

“[The event is to help students know] what careers really match with the major that they’re going for and knowing that it’s okay to change their mind,” said Paul.

The advising center partnered with the Career Development Center for the event in order to help students “have a real conversation about what it’s like to experience the life of a major,” Brown said. “It’s especially important for the undeclared student to attend [the event],” said Brown. “I encourage people to go to this because it’ll get them to start thinking [about what career they want].”

Advisor for the Undergraduate Academic Advising Center, David Gallant, said students have flexibility when it comes to changing their field of study.

Gallant worked with the Deans Offices for the Sawyer Business School and the College of Arts and Sciences, Career Services and Enrollment Management in order to make the event what it is.

The first official Major/Minor fair took place in 2006 and before this, there were more students coming into Suffolk as undeclared according to Gallant.

“If a student is considering a major or minor change, I wouldn’t say that there’s any one best time,” Gallant said. “We hope, at least in the terms of the College of Arts and Sciences, that students are settled into their major by the end of their third semester.”

STEM and Art and Design disciplines are “vertically structured and have a lot of prerequisites.” Very structured curriculums can cause some issues when it comes to changing a major/minor which is why Gallant specified with the College of Arts and Sciences. 

Gallant wants students to choose their major based on what they’re passionate about.

“Some students choose a major really not by themselves–it was chosen by a family member, chosen by whatever historical misreading of what a particular major will do for them later on in life,” said Gallant.

In addition to him wanting students to know their options, Gallant also said “[i want students] to make sure that they aren’t necessarily changing their major because they’re freaked out by the first class, or they’re freaked out by their first semester or they have gotten back an exam that says maybe they need to do a little more work.” 

Sarianna Quarne / Journal Contributor

Undeclared students are encouraged to go to the event due to the information being potentially helpful in deciding and declaring a major.

“I’m undeclared and meeting a lot of faculty will help [students like me] in the long run.” stated freshman, Ricardo Joseph.

Some students were attending simply because they wanted to learn about the alternative options they have. 

“I found some new majors and opportunities that I might be more interested in,” said first-year government student Isabela Paiva. 

If a student is interested in the possibility of switching or adding to their major, the Division of Student Success is located on the 9th floor of 73 Tremont. Students can go there to schedule and appointment with an advisor or they can set up an appointment using the Navigate app.