Editor’s Word: Who’s next?

For the past seven years, Suffolk University has accumulated as many presidents, and as each have created a new “issue” on campus that has resulted in the next head, many of them have placed a “bandaid” on each of these problems. From the lack of classrooms to a low retention rate, the parade of presidents have sold buildings with the next person sitting in the high seat leasing the same ones, one will recognize the absence of space and the next one will cram students in a conference room for an entire semester’s course.

Suffolk needs a new direction, a new brand. It needs to promote not just the overused “in the heart of the city” statement, splashed across ultra-repetitive brochures, but to showcase its students and their drive to make the university succeed.

Students are what create and make the university, and for what some Suffolk veterans say– upper administration has targeted their top offices as their only focus. Suffolk, start investing in your students.

Two years ago, Suffolk was in the midst of their largest media debacle. Since that time, it has attempted to repair the integrity of this institution, yet haven’t involved its students enough.

An advice to the next leader, whether they have been at the university or not:

Be student driven by asking what students want. Get them engaged in major decisions and we guarantee, alumni will donate, more students will apply and the enthusiasm for Suffolk will grow. But, stop assuming what the students need.