• BREAKING: Herald reported that Suffolk files plan to lease 180-unit apartment for student dorms in Brighton

Filed under Campus, Suffolk News

Suffolk MHA student teaches surgeon

Rapidly advancing technology in the health care industry has not only birthed creative and innovative techniques in medicine, but has prompted a younger generation to take charge in the ever-growing field.

Once a student in Suffolk’s Sawyer Business School’s Master of Healthcare Administration program, Michael Bayeh found himself in a position to teach someone whom he had studied in school. Bayeh secured an internship at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and landed a job upon completing his program, only to have found himself in a position to train surgeon, Harvard professor and New York Times best seller Dr. Atul Gawande.

Virtual health care is an industry on the rise tailored to replacing visits to the hospital or a primary physician. Bayeh’s knowledge has stemmed in part from Suffolk University’s MHA program, which is the only MHA program in New England to hold Commision on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education.

According to Suffolk University, Bayeh was able to interact with Gawande just 20 months after taking an introductory course in which the class required the use of Gawande’s book, “Complications: A Surgeon’s Notes on an Imperfect Science.”