Orientation: Suffolk’s orientation was the highlight of my summer

By Elizabeth Hadley

Signing into freshmen orientation back in June, I dreaded the next two days as I stood outside Miller Hall. All I knew about orientation was that it was tightly scheduled and an overnight stay, and I feared it would be boring. I was convinced I would hate it and feel out of place because I didn’t know anyone else who would be there.

I was wrong. Suffolk’s freshmn orientation was the highlight of my summer. Our orientation leaders were fun and friendly, and they made everyone feel welcomed on campus. They didn’t judge anyone and made Suffolk seem like the best place in the world.

Although the many information sessions about Suffolk’s Center for Learning and Academic Success, the health and wellness center, and the appointments to make our fall semesters schedules were extremely boring, looking back on it, I loved the whole experience. Orientation made coming from a small town, Easton, Mass., to the big, exciting city seem not so bad.

Before orientation, I was scared to live in a dorm away from my parents, being responsible for doing my own laundry, making it to class on time, and navigating college on my own. But I learned that’s what was so great about orientation. All of my fear that had made life beyond high school so scary turned into excitement when I got to campus. Every person I met was nice and they made me feel like I belonged at Suffolk. They made me feel at home. That is what it should feel like because this is my new home. After orientation, I was sad because I wanted to come back and see everyone again.

Hadley reflects on her positive experience at orientation as she poses in a group photo in the Common. Courtesy of Elizabeth Hadley.

My favorite part of orientation was meeting my friend Margot at the improvisational comedy show in Miller Hall after the long first day. We bonded that night and hung out the whole second day of orientation. At orientation, we requested each other for roommates.

Now, she is possibly my best friend. That story captures what orientation is all about: putting yourself out there to people you don’t know, because they could become your new best friend.

When I came home from orientation all I wanted to do was go back. I had a countdown calendar on my wall and could not wait to return to the friends I had already made and looked forward to the prospect of meeting new ones. I could not wait to live in Boston.

All of the orientation leaders were so amazingly welcoming. They made us laugh and feel excited to come here to Suffolk. They were so optimistic and positive about everything. If it wasn’t for orientation I doubt I would have been as excited to come to Suffolk.

After orientation I knew that I would put all my efforts into being an orientation leader. I want all of the rising freshman to feel as welcome and at home here as I did. I want to make them as happy and excited as I felt after orientation.