Sketchual Misconduct says goodbye to seniors

By Patricia Negron

Suffolk’s Modern Theater was filled with laughter for Sketchual Misconduct’s last show of the year, “The Sound of Pizza.” The show was funny and despite the bittersweet feeling that this would be the last show for the graduating seniors, the witty original sketches that have made the troupe a prominent group on-campus were reinvented and renewed, resulting in a really fun night.

“I do feel that there has been a progression from the beginning of the year, creatively speaking,” said Paul Doran, a student who joined the group in the fall.

Courtesy of Sketchual Misconduct Facebook page

The first half of the show consisted of sketches that varied in theme. The opening sketch, “Mixtape,” was written by freshman Kelly Roper. The sketch told the story of a rapper who was trying to tell his parents about his new CD release. The sketch hung on a miscommunication between the rapper and his parents, who thought he was trying to come out as gay.

“We’ve come a long way from where we were in October and I think that shows through the quality of the work in this last show. Overall, this was the best show we’ve had all year, as far as quality of sketches,” said Doran.

The sketch continued to school, where the rapper answered a few extra credit questions about the sun correctly and kept celebrating rowdily with his friends. When the teacher made the mistake of asking him what is hotter than the sun, chaos broke loose that elicited many laughs from the audience.

“The group is honestly rocking so well together right now,” said Dylan Amerena, artistic director of Sketchual Misconduct. “Coming to rehearsals feels like I’m with all my best friends generating laughs. We work so well together, even writing a sketch as a group,” he continued.

“I really enjoyed the opening sketch ‘Mixtape’ because I thought the premise was very funny and I accidentally received my first stage kiss with Dylan Amerana, which was, and still is, very exciting,” said Doran.

Another great sketch was titled “Animal Jail,” and featured student Kanika Rajiv doing a voiceover of the famous Sarah McLachlan commercial for the the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Students portrayed criminals and murderers with an intriguing role of a cat suspected of killing JFK.

“Animal Jail came from a time when I was watching TV at home with my sister and we muted that horrifying commercial in order to make fun of it,” said Jed Kurtzman, who wrote the sketch.

One of the simplest but funniest sketches, “Kanye West,” was written by Dylan Amerena. The spotlight shone on an empty stage, while a voiceover said that, “all the people Kanye West likes that are not named Kanye West.”

Another sketch, “Makeup,” which was written together by the group and seemed to be another favorite of the evening. The sketch makes fun of how different a girl looks without her makeup by exchanging the main character with guys, and eventually with a pizza box, as she takes off her makeup.

The second half of the show was the roast of Alex Pappas, one of the original founding members of the group, who is graduating in May. Pappas plans to stay Boston to expand his acting resume with stand-up comedy on deck for the summer.

The roast was hosted by Kurtzman, who is also graduating Suffolk this semester. “First and foremost, bloody marys and steak,” Kurtzman replied when asked what his next step after Suffolk intends to be.

“I always make sure my mom has those ready to go whenever I fly home. Nutrition is key. However, after that my goals are just to keep doing comedy for as long as my potato body allows. I’m going to walk my dog, too. That’s a step right?” said Kurtzman.

Though all the roasters were great, Suffolk student Bobby Zupkofska, who is not a member of Sketchual Misconduct, definitely stole the show. Even roastmaster Kurtzman admited that Zupkofska’s “secret guest spot is going to be by far one of my favorite memories of being in this group.”

“It really didn’t settle in that it was my last show until the show ended,” said Pappas. “As far as the roast goes, that was probably the more nerve-wracking part of the show. I had no idea what they were going to say, but at the end of it, I loved it,” he said.

The roast of other Sketchual Misconduct members were really interesting as well, but the show had a stronger emphasis on seniors Kurtzman and Pappas, which gave the performance a bittersweet feeling when the curtain closed.