Weekly Breakdown 4/13-4/17

Monday: 4/13

SAAM: Clothing Drive for Rosie’s Place, A Women’s Shelter: 

Sexual Assault Awareness Month clothing drive to benefit Rosie’s Place! Visit facebook.com/SuffolkUniversitySUPERs to find out what is needed and drop them off at the Student Wellness Resource Center, Diversity Services, the Center for Community Engagement, the Interfaith Center, at your residence hall, or the Law School.

Graphic Design Show: Just My Type:

NESAD will be hosting the senior graphic design show ‘Just My Type’ featuring works from graphic design undergraduates. The title of the show is “Just My Type” and includes posters, branding, packaging, web & app design, advertisements and personal work by graduating Senior Graphic Design majors.

The reception is on Friday, April 17th from 5:30-7:30pm. Each student’s supporters: family, partners, internship sponsors, friends, faculty & NESAD Graphic Design alumni will be in attendance.

Monday Night Oasis Supper Club

Help serve meals at the Cathedral Church of St. Paul to those in need. Meet at the Center for Community Engagement, Donahue 209, at 5:30 pm. This is a weekly opportunity limited to the first 5 volunteers who R.S.V.P. through SUconnect.

Pride Week Movie Night: “Pride”:

U.K. gay activists work to help miners during their lengthy strike of the National Union of Mineworkers in the summer of 1984.

Pizza and popcorn will be served.

This event is co-sponsored by Rainbow Alliance and ODS.

Tuesday

Graphic Design Show: Just My Type:

Tuesday Night Church of the Advent Supper Club

Help serve meals at the Church of the Advent to those in need. Meet at the Center for Community Engagement, Donahue 209, at 4:45 pm. This is a weekly opportunity limited to the first 3 volunteers who R.S.V.P. through SUconnect

SUJSA: 

We will be showing an educational movie called “Spirited Away” to explain Japanese culture. 5:15-8:30

Pride Week: Dragaoke:

Want to participate? No experience necessary, no auditions. Just show up in your best drag, bring your music, and sign up when you arrive at the venue. It’s like karaoke, but with drag! 7:00 PM-9:00 PM Donahue Cafe

Wednesday

Graphic Design Show: Just My Type:

What OCHO can do for you! Stay Connected Table:

Throughout the semester OCHO has been telling you about what we can do for you and the services we provide. Commuter community this is your opportunity to stop by and tell us what you would like OCHO to be able to do for you that we are not already doing. Also get the latest updates on all the events and programs that are going on not only at Suffolk, but in Boston as well!

Sawyer Lobby 1:00-3:00 PM

Wednesday Night Paulist Center Supper Club:

Help serve meals at the Paulist Center to those in need. Meet at the Center for Community Engagement, Donahue 209, at 4:45 pm. This is a weekly opportunity limited to the first 5 volunteers who R.S.V.P. through SUconnect

AAA Mahjomj Night:

Annual event where students and non-students can learn and play the game for prizes on April 15, 2015 in Donahue 403 from 5-9pm

The Land of Many Palaces:

Documentary film maker Adam Smith will screen his film “The Land of Many Palaces.” This is about the development of a new city in Ordos, Inner Mongolia, where farmers are being uprooted from their traditional way of life and moved into the newly created cities.  The film was made in collaboration with Song Ting, and a variety of sponsors such as Stanford, Sundance, CNEX. Q&A with Adam Smith following the screening.

Free and open to the Public. Co-sponsored by the Department of Communication and Journalism, the College of Arts and Sciences, and the Rosenberg Institute for East Asian Studies.

Shahl Center 5:30-7:00 PM

Musicians Network SAAM Open Mic! 

Come see the Musicians Network final Open Mic of the year. The Musicians Network is teaming up with Sexual Assault Awareness Month to raise money and spread knowledge about sexual assault. Throughout the evening there will be sketches and monologues addressing this important issue. In addition, there will be the typical amazing Suffolk talent featuring incredible songs and poetry, as well as great food.

Performers: sign up to perform by e-mailing the Musicians Network or on the bulletin board outside of the Performing Arts Office (4th floor Donahue)

Donahue Cafe 7:00-9:00 PM

Thursday

Graphic Design Show: Just My Type:

Coffee Hour:

Join us for FREE coffee and FREE bagels from Breugger’s Bagels! We are the Office of Diversity Services and we are located in A481.

9:00-11:00 AM

RAMILY 2015:

Suffolk Ramily Reunion: Urban Carnival! Come enjoy free food, games and giveaways in the Ashburton parking lot (next to sawyer building)

11:30-2:30 PM

Study Abroad Peer Mentors Food Palooza:

Food from different countries, photo contest, and henna from fun enterprises on April 16, 2015 in D403 from 12-2pm.

Holocaust Memorial Day of Observance:

Join Hillel and the Interfaith Center for a reading of the names of the victims of the Holocaust. Stop by to help us commemorate the countless lives lost. This event is in the Donahue First Floor Lobby.

1:00-2:00 PM

SAAM: Stories of Sexual Assault in the Bible – What can we learn?

Join the Interfaith Center as we explore texts of trauma. We will explore a variety of voiceless characters and discuss how we can give voice to our own experiences.

4:00-5:00 PM

Vicious Anonymity:

Ford Hall Forum presents: Vicious Anonymity

Speakers:

Arthur Chu (blogger, The Daily Beast and repeat winner, Jeopardy)

Jason Tuohey (Editor, BostonGlobe.com)

Sarah Sobieraj (Associate Professor of sociology, Tufts University and author, The Outrage Industry)

The online world grapples daily with the struggle between freedom of expression and the right to privacy with one’s internet presence, particularly in comment sections of popular blogs. Nearly all internet comments are allowed to be anonymous but many people regularly take advantage of that with shockingly abusive comments. Does the American public deserve online privacy? Does the current environment have a chilling effect on others’ freedom of speech? Can journalists be expected to take this abuse as part of their jobs, day in and day out? And short of compulsory identity verification, is there something we can do to mitigate the ill effects of this sociological phenomenon?

6:30-8:00 PM

Sketchual Misconduct Spring Show:

Come see Sketchual Misconduct’s spring semester show! The show includes many new sketches featuring these hilarious students. You will definitely laugh the whole time! The show is free. See them at 7pm in the Modern.

Friday

Graphic Design Show: Just My Type:

LEAP Conference:

Leap conference on April 17-18th NEW CLUB OFFICERS BE SURE TO REGISTER ON SUCONNECT!!

18th Annual Service Day:

Each spring the Center for Community Engagement organizes a day for the Suffolk community to volunteer at local organizations. Students, staff and faculty mobilize to dedicate a day to service around the Greater Boston community. Service projects take place during morning, afternoon and early evening shifts, with a free on-campus celebratory luncheon that recognizes the past year of service. Registration is now open and will continue until all service opportunities are filled.  Project details and registration information can be found on our website, or by contacting the Center for Community Engagement.

Seriously Bent Spring Revue:

Seriously Bent is putting on their annual Spring Revue show. This is an amazing chance to see improv at it’s finest! Come see all the improv and sketches Seriously Bent has been working on this year. It is sure to be hilarious! The show is free. See it at either 7pm or 9pm in the Modern theater.

STRONG: The Boston Marathon Project:

STRONG began as a reaction to the 2013 Boston Marathon Bombings and the journey to finding closure and strength after trauma. Through a series of interviews with victims and first-responders, Paige Monopoli created this documentary theatre piece as her capstone project in the Suffolk Honors Program, with classmate Alexa Costa. Set in a subway car, the characters recall their experiences fron the Boston Marathon and reveal hopeful futures.