Editor’s word: What Baker promises for college students

Early Wednesday morning, Charlie Baker was projected to be Massachusetts’ next governor, catapulting him to a position that will have a lot of power over college students.

Baker’s proposals to improve Massachusetts’ higher education reflect his no-frills approach to government. Instead of throwing money at the problem, Baker wants to help students get through college faster while still getting a quality education.

Using the Board of Education, he wants to establish a competitive grant to fund the development of three-year bachelor degrees in the state, which would reduce tuition by at least 25 percent, according to his proposal. He also proposes using online learning tools to allow students to take courses full-time and while finishing high school.

Baker also said he hopes to increase the amount of paid internships and co-ops, or at least ones in which offer credits. This would be a huge gain for college students. Paid work experience is invaluable in today’s world. And beyond that, some students have to pay to put themselves through school. Having the opportunity to get paid real-world experience would be an amazing asset for Massachusetts college students.

Baker wants to make college more affordable so that students don’t have to seek an education out-of-state. Massachusetts is full of amazing schools, and creating a financial opportunity that allows students to study at home without drowning in debt sounds like something the commonwealth could really benefit from.

Though Baker has a lot of work ahead of him for the next four years, hopefully college students see change under his tenure. Baker will have a full schedule of duties, between improving the State Department of Children and Families, and addressing the new realities of casinos and gambling in the state, the health connector website, and reduced purchasing power from the state gas tax.

Students can only hope there is time for the new governor to give them a chance at a better collegiate career and reduced debt after his other imposing responsibilities.