Weekly Event Blog: September 29-October 5!

Happy Monday Suffolk students! There’s lots going on this week that you’ll definitely not want to miss! Check them out!

Monday 9/29

8:30-11 AM: Commuter Coffee Stop! Swing by the Donahue Lobby Monday through Wednesday this week you get to campus for some (FREE) freshly brewed Starbucks Coffee and a yummy treat. In an effort to stay green, we encourage you to bring your own travel mug to fill up! (Donahue Lobby)

4-4PM: Bicycle Workshop! Have your bikes tuned and repaired for free and learn about biking safely in the city of Boston. Biking is a great way to stay active and conserve energy. Stop by to get safety advice and awesome giveaways. Part of the Off Campus and Commuter Student Appreciation Week! (Donahue Parking Lot)

4:45-7 PM: Monday Night Oasis Supper Club! Help serve meals at the Cathedral Church of St. Paul to those in need. Meet at the S.O.U.L.S. Center, Donahue 209, at 4:45 pm. This is a weekly opportunity limited to the first 5 volunteers who R.S.V.P. through SUconnect. (Donahue 209)

7-9 pm: Jazz Ensemble Auditions! The Jazz Ensemble is looking for new musicians to join their group! Jazz will hold auditions on Monday September 22 and 29 at 7pm. Please sign up for an audition outside of the Performing Arts Office (Donahue 409). At the audition please prepare a song to play, and you will be asked to sight read. (Donahue Building)

Tuesday 9/30

8:30-11 AM: Commuter Coffee Stop!

6:30-8:30: Sketch Night: Imagining Your Inner City! The Suffolk University Gallery will “go back to the drawing board” during Boston Art week by inviting artists, curators, and the general public to enjoy an evening of sketching and exchanging ideas inspired by their visions of the ideal city. They will be joined by the artists featured in the current exhibit, Artists and Their Sketchbooks: Process Visible, and exhibition co-curators Deborah Davidson and Karl Benner. Guests should bring their own sketchbooks. (NESAD Art Gallery)

7-8:30 PM: Ram Slam Your Story! As part of Art Week Boston, this event kicks off with three seasoned storytellers weaving eight-minute tales to show us how it’s done. Then, amateur storytellers whose names are drawn from a hat each tell a four-minute anecdote on our chosen theme: YOLO (You Only Live Once). This competitive storytelling celebration ends with the audience choosing a winner. (Modern Theatre, $5 general public, free for Suffolk community)

Wednesday 10/1

8:30-11 AM: Commuter Coffee Stop!

4:45PM: Wednesday Night Paulist Center Supper Club! Help serve meals at the Paulist Center to those in need. Meet at the Center for Community Engagement, Donahue 209, at 4:45 pm. This is a weekly opportunity limited to the first 5 volunteers who R.S.V.P. through SUconnect. (Donahue 209)

6:30-7:30PM: An Evening with Javier Pagan, BS ’93! A first responder to the Boston Marathon bombing and the subject of an iconic Sports Illustrated cover photo, Javier Pagan is the definition of a true Bostonian. In his role as LGBTQ liaison for the BPD, Pagan draws on his Dorchester upbringing and Suffolk experience to build bridges and serve his community. Join us for a discussion and networking opportunity as he shares how intersections of his identity helped shape his career path. (Sargent Hall)

Thursday 10/2

9-11AM: Coffee Hour! Stop by the Office of Diversity Services in A481 this Thursday morning for free coffee, tea, and hot cocoa.  Commuter students are encouraged to drop by this Thursday for pastries and bagels. (Archer 481)

12:30-2:30PM: City Hall To-Go Truck! Register to vote! (Temple St.)

1-2:30PM: A Brief History of Cowardice? Coward: It’s a grave insult, likely to provoke anger, shame, even violence. But what exactly is cowardice? And might contempt for the coward be a good thing? Cowardice may be more morally useful, for it requires us to think critically about our duties and our fears, and when fear and duty conflict, it can help us act ethically. (Stahl Center)

1-2:15: LGBTQ History Month: Ice Cream Social! Come kick off LGBTQ History Month with a rainbow of flavors! (Archer 481)

10-11PM: Seriously Bent Dorm Show! Come and get your laugh on at the always hilarious Seriously Bent weekly dorm shows! Seriously Bent performs every Thursday in the basement of 150 Tremont at 10pm. They are always switching up their improv shows, so there will always be something new and exciting. Make sure to check it out: laughter guaranteed! (150 basement)

Friday 10/3

6-9PM: Lucky to be at Suffolk! Swag BINGO! Who doesn’t love a good bingo game? Suffolk students are welcome to a traditional bingo night in the Donahue Cafe. The winners of each round will receive either Ram Card money or swag. Get connected to Boston, Suffolk and friends! (Donahue Caf.)

Have an awesome Weekend, and make sure to check out The Hub for discount tickets to tons of cool places in Boston!