A cappella group Ramifications harmonizes its way to top

Harmonic and high-spirited, the Ramifications are Suffolk University’s only co-ed A Cappella group.

The Ramifications were formed in the spring of 2001,  and have performed at various events and competitions in the Boston area. They have sung the National Anthem at a Boston Celtics game for example, and have performed under the DCR Hatch Shell on the Esplanade.

This year, there are six new members and a total of 17 musical performers, and they are accomplishing great things.

Senior Andrew Hull and member of  Ramifications shared his thoughts and experiences about being in the group.

“I’ve learned to improve my vocal technique, but I’ve also learned the importance of working together as a group to achieve something,” said Hull. “Some of my favorite experiences include singing the National Anthem at a Celtics game, performing at Faneuil Hall, as well as performing for the mayor of Boston at the Boston Opera House.”

Photo courtesy of Suffolk University’s Ramifications

“Aside from performances, my overall favorite experience has been being able to sing with my best friends on a regular basis.” said Hull.

The group provides a creative outlet for the students involved. In addition to performing at noteworthy events, they are able to work on their own music and become musical partners.

“This year, we’re doing something a little different,” said Ramifications Business Manager Ashley Wright,

“We’ve started making our own arrangements and scores.” She also noted that it has been a bonding experience for most.

“I think that when you start out in the group, it does seem more like a hobby, but after a while it becomes a lifestyle. We try to collaborate and hang out together to write music.”

In an A Cappella group, this is especially important because, the more you bond and merge together, the more in sync you are for performances.

Judging from their past performances, which are posted on their website and on YouTube, they veritably perform as one. Hull explained, “Not only is it important for our members to be able to sing well, which we discover through [our] audition callback process, but it is almost more important for our members to be able to blend and be one part of the cohesive group.”

Wright was also excited to discuss their community-oriented performances.

Most recently, they sang at the halftime show of the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk in Boston which took place on Oct. 8 of this year.

“We really enjoy the community events because when you attend a college A Cappella gig, people go there knowing they’re going to hear A Cappella. But, when you do community outreach, people get really excited because they haven’t really heard this kind of performance, so it’s an exciting experience for all [groups involved.]”

Last semester, they also performed at Rosie’s Place – a homeless shelter for women in Boston.

“The feedback was incredible,” said Wright, “People were taking videos and dancing and kept screaming ‘Encore! Encore!’

We were able to create something memorable that we will think about for the rest of our lives and we’re looking forward to performing at Rosie’s Place again.”

It is apparent that the Ramifications are a hardworking and compelling A Cappella group who have a full schedule of events planned for this and next year.

On Dec. 7, for example, they will be performing at the A Cappella Festival at Wayland Middle School. Also on their agenda is a new album, which they should be releasing sometime next year.

If you’re interested in finding out more information on their upcoming events, which are plenty, visit their website at Suffolkrams.org, or keep in touch through their Facebook page.