BLOG: My Advice to Underclassmen

Yesterday, I registered for my first semester of my senior year.

Two weeks ago, I confirmed with my advisor that I’d be graduating a semester early. As a part of the Honors program, with a PR major and a double minor in English and Theatre. I had considered doing so, but it is now official. I’m gone in December 2014.

In September 2011 I first entered Suffolk University. I had always been drawn to Boston, and particularly drawn to the hefty financial aid the school had offered me. The idea of going to a private university out-of-state had seemed almost impossible before the day my package came in.

In high school, I was sort of a loner. I worked two jobs, did shows at a local community theatre (in which my roles were mainly serious or romantic), and…that was it, really. I didn’t have a group of tightly knit friends, or anyone I hung out with after school. I worked, I studied, I performed. That was my life.

I moved into Suffolk knowing nobody, with a declared English major and an anticipated Theatre double major. After my first official class (a theatre course), a particularly helpful sophomore guided me to the signups for auditions. I signed up to do the Fall Showcase, and got in, which turned into a life-altering experience. I performed in that show in what was really my first strictly comedic role, and in the process, made my first circle of friends. Ever.

It wasn’t until second semester freshman year that I truly started to settle in. Transferring had never been on the table; first of all, I could NOT afford it, but second of all – I had already fallen madly in love with the city. I had also, strangely, fallen madly in love with comedy. I played my second comedic role in the PAO’s production of Shakespeare in Hollywood. I always had been attracted to it, as a Monty Python fan, but I hadn’t recognized it until just before my 19th birthday in March 2012.

That’s when Sketchual Misconduct formed, and it changed me so much for the better.

After that, I had a place to let free. To try new roles, to find myself. As the executive member of the group, I also finally had control over something in my life. So much of my life had been out of my control in life, and organizing something that brought happiness to others was so fulfilling to me. I enjoyed that, a lot.

The summer after my freshman year, I was invited to start up InstaRam. This sparked a brand new idea for me. A place where organization met creativity. A place to promote some of the events I had already been acquainted with and come to love. This lead to a life changing decision; I finally declared my PR major and my previous ‘majors’ became my minors.

Comedy found me. InstaRam found me. My MAJOR found me. Even the group of friends I now rely on…they all found me. It was a strange spin of fate that brought me to where I am right now, but I know one thing for sure – I would never have found any of it had I not kept my mind open.

InstaRam came to me because of the hard work I had shown in starting up Sketchual Misconduct. Sketchual Misconduct came to me because I discovered one passion hidden within another, and worked for it. It hasn’t been particularly easy – there was much frustration, tears, and late-night phone calls to my best friend in the process of it. But when life handed me that opportunity, I wasn’t about to let it pass by me.

In the past 3 years, I have noticed many changes in myself. I laugh more. I love more. I’m so much more comfortable and confident in my own skin. I take more pride in what I do. I’m more passionate, I’m more dedicated. I’m more excited to see where life will bring me next.

I only have a year left at this point, even when I should have had a year and a half to go. It’s going by too quickly.

BUT, the point of this blog: For those of you who have not yet found your place yet…It hasn’t ended yet. When I came to this school, I had no idea I’d be spending the past 2.5 years  in the way that I have. When an opportunity comes by, you’ve got to grab it. Get involved in any way you can, or you could miss out on so many incredible things.

My experience at Suffolk has been a complete domino effect, and when the game is done, I have no idea where I’ll be headed next. All I know is, I’ll be ready for it.

~Corinne