STUDENT FEATURE: Conor Walsh, Writer/Director

Between his time as an actor at the Boston Tea Party and his vigorous rehearsals for the upcoming Fall Showcase production, we caught up with student writer/director Conor Walsh.

INSTARAM: What is your major/year?

CONOR WALSH: Theatre General, 2014.

How did you get into theatre?

WALSH: I started theatre in middle school, sixth grade. The first play I did was Anne of Green Gables – I liked it a lot, made some friends, so I stuck with it. I stuck with it through high school, and it became something I loved more than just a hobby, so I’m here now.

For those out there who do not know – What IS the Showcase?

WALSH: The showcase is something that goes on in the Theatre Department every semester. It is usually student written, always student directed, and for the first time, it is student teched – students doing the lighting and sound design as well. It’s basically student run, a showcase of our abilities. For the first time, we’re in charge of the entire process. It’s a great way to be introduced to the process, because you’re also introduced to the administration of it. It’s a great learning experience all around.

What is your play about?

WALSH: My play (Scalpel, Please) is a comedy about Dr. Honeyweather, in Boston in the 1980’s. He has to fix Whitey Bulger’s heart or the mob will kill him. And he falls in love with Whitey’s daughter.

Have you been in the playwright/director’s seat before?

WALSH: I have not, it’s been a learning curve.

What’s the hardest part? Best part?

WALSH: The hardest part is probably the directing aspect. You want the actors to do something, and you don’t want to over manage them, but you don’t want to under manage then. You need to say the exact right thing to make them do what you want them to do.

The best part is seeing a play that I wrote being taken by the actors – it’s in their hands now. It’s coming to life. It’s very cool to see that happen.

In the other shows in the showcase, are there any moments you’re really excited to see staged? In your own?

WALSH: I’m a huge Beatles fan, as is Paige Monopoli (writer and director of Yesterday), and there’s a lot of Beatles references in that. I love hearing about them.

[In my own] there’s a gag scene, and I don’t want to give too much away, but it involves a heart monitor and a dying patient. I’m looking forward to the audience’s reaction to that. It’s supposed to be hilarious, so I hope it comes across as that.

Random: If you were trying to get ALL the boys to your yard, what milkshake would you make?

WALSH: Reese cup. Actual bits of Reese cups, chocolate ice cream, sprinkles of other chocolate. Just very chocolatey.

Special thanks to Conor for meeting with us!

The Fall Showcase goes up in the Studio Theatre in a few weeks! Show times are:
THURSDAY-SATURDAY OCT. 10-12 @ 8PM
SATURDAY-SUNDAY OCT. 12-13 @ 3PM
Located in the Studio Theatre, Archer Building, 4th Floor

Get Tickets for the Fall Showcase today – they’re free, but they sell out fast!