International student life at Suffolk

International student life at Suffolk

Lara Fernandez  Journal Contributor

Boston has always attracted students from around the world. Suffolk University, located in the heart of the city, has become a major part of that attraction. This year alone, the university is home to more than 1,300 international students.

The university invests major resources in recruiting foreign students. With an international student body representing six continents and 108 countries, the university strives to increase this number. Jonathan Darden, the assistant director of undergraduate admissions, is responsible for recruiting students from every country. “At Suffolk we have about 18 percent international students,” he said. “Right now, the countries that send us the most applications and actually enroll are Saudi Arabia, China, and Venezuela. Those are really the main countries, but the list goes on.”

The list includes major countries such as Spain, India, Russia and Australia, as well as smaller countries such as Nigeria or the small island of Curacao. “We are very fortunate to have such a diverse population here at Suffolk,” says Darden.

International students claim to enjoy this diversity. “First, when I came to America, I was not one hundred percent sure that I would stay here,” explains Vassili Stroganov, a student from Russia. “I am one hundred percent sure now that I made the right choice because here at Suffolk there is so much diversity and thanks to that I am more open-minded and I see the world from another angle.”

Suffolk officials say that the school offers great opportunities for international students, in both the classroom and the professional world and according to Darden, one of Suffolk’s privileges is its location. Located in the heart of the city, the University offers new opportunities and challenges.

“Our location is one of the things that appeals and attracts foreign students the most. Just look at the campus; there is not a campus; we are an urban institution. The moment you get out of 73 Tremont you are in the city and there is a lot of opportunity and students like that,” explains Darden.

According to Darden, another of the main reasons most international students to come to study in the US, especially those whose countries are suffering from a bad economic or social situation, is to ensure themselves a professional future. “When reading their essays, many say that they want to come here for the opportunity, gain that knowledge, get that degree that’s worth something and take that back to their country to hopefully make a change for the better,” he says.

Darden says the school focuses on building and improving their relationship with universities in other countries. And, once foreign students get to campus, the challenge is to help them adapt to the culture and the demands of classes. For this, Suffolk offers international students help through different programs and departments such as the Writing Center, the Second Language Center, and the Ballotti Learning Center for personal tutoring.

International students say that this is another of the things they appreciate about Suffolk. “Not only are the opportunities that Suffolk offers for help with internships incredible,” says Genesis Yong, a student from Ecuador, “but also the help with class work by having tutors and other helping departments; stuff like that you don’t get in Ecuador.”

Despite these types of difficulties that many foreign students encounter while studying in the US, most say their experience at Suffolk has great value. “I feel homesick, but on the other hand it’s worth it,” explains Jesus Portillo, an international student from Spain. “This experience made me grow and mature both, personally and professionally. Every day is a new challenge; it is simply great.”

Darden believes that the reason for the students’ satisfaction is the way Suffolk treats them; like adults, rather than like students. “We treat students like adults, and that’s what you are,” he says.  “As I said before, the moment you walk outside 73 Tremont, you are in the city. As a result, our students mature a lot faster based on the experience that they are living. And, I think that that is priceless. The reason simply is we want to prepare our students for success here at Suffolk.”

The world is comprised of a total of 194 countries, which means that over half (55%) of the world is represented here at Suffolk University!

•  -Asia accounts for about 57% of the International Student body, with the majority of students hailing from China (~300) and Saudi Arabia (~140).
  •  -South America speaks for about 13% of the International Student population, with the majority of students from Venezuela (~85) and Colombia (~20).
  • -Europe is responsible for about 13% of the International Student body, with the majority of students from Spain (~30) and Russia (~20).
  •  -Africa represents about 12% International Student population, with most students from Senegal (~55) and Nigeria (~19).
  • -North America claims about 5% of the International Student population, with the most amount of students from Mexico (~30), Panama (~10), and Canada (~10).