Adams Gallery presents works by NESAD faculty members

The Adams Gallery on the ground floor of the Suffolk Law School is now being permanently overseen by NESADSU. Susan Nichter is a professor at NESADSU and one of five members of its new gallery committee that is currently conducting a nationwide search for a gallery director.

“I think this idea that President McCarthy has of better integration between the departments is great,” Nichter said. “Students don’t get the chance to see what goes on at NESAD; the Adams Gallery is much closer to the rest of campus.”

For their pilot exhibit, the faculty decided which of their own pieces would go into the show. They were given two weeks notice and were ready in time for their well-attended opening on Feb. 1. The exhibit features painting, drawing, sculpture, installation, and photography created by NESADSU faculty members.

“We want the rest of the university to see what we can do, the level of expertise we have,” Nichter said. “One of our main questions is how can we offer added value, not just for artists, but for everyone?”

Matt Aaron Templeton’s archival digital print titled “Ideas” features sketches of a “Project Evaluation Confessional” and a “Martini Briefcase,” among other fictional objects that merged innovation and creativity in a fun and inspiring way. The exhibit provides a great way for the NESADSU faculty to express themselves to the rest of the Suffolk community and showcase their ideas.

Two works by Wallace F. Marosek reveal the true talent of the NESADSU faculty. His watercolor “Poppies in Provence” is a breathtaking piece tucked in the corner of the gallery and “Tuscan Spring” is an oil painting on canvas that demonstrates his overarching artistic abilities and creativity. Both pieces feature beautifully vibrant colors that can stop gallery-goers in their tracks.

“Natural World 2” is a digital print by Randal Thurston that looks like a pretty, yet nondescript, design from afar. Looking closer, insects, beetles, butterflies, plants, and lizards are imaginatively intertwined to create a thoughtful pattern that reveals the hidden conformity and beauty of the natural world.

One of the most interesting pieces in the gallery is Ilona Anderson’s “Dwell,” a work created using pearlescent inks, gouache, Lascaux acrylics, and gel pens on black and grey archival papers. Anderson is from South Africa who addresses apartheid and women’s issues in her art. “Dwell” is a tall and unique piece that features various figures, structures, industry, fashion, and even a zebra. The details of the thought-provoking piece are small and require a lot of attention, but searching its intricacies is a pleasure more than a task.

“This gallery could be the inspiration for creativity and innovation, and not just in the arts,” Nichter commented. “The Business School, the Law School, and the College of Arts and Sciences can benefit from it.”

Nichter revealed that the abandoned plan for 20 Somerset originally included a gallery that would be used for their professional and student shows. Now that they have full use of the Adams Gallery, the committee hopes to bring in guest curators and speakers and provide an outlet for advanced students and guest lecturers. Last spring, there was a faculty exhibit at the Arlington location that very few Suffolk community members were aware of. Nichter, and NESADSU as a whole, sees the Adams Gallery as a great way to introduce creativity and art on the heart of the Suffolk campus.

“There’s a crossover between innovation and creativity,” she said. “This benefits everybody. Our world is changing so quickly, people have to learn how to think creatively. People have to adapt and begin thinking in ways they normally might not.”

The faculty exhibit will be on display until March 5 and an exhibit of student’s illustrations will begin on March 16.