Suffolk team updates: runnin’ Rams and more

Golf team competes in 75th Annual NEIGA Championship

The Suffolk University men’s golf team competed in the first round of the 75th Annual New England Intercollegiate Golf Association Championship earlier this week, finishing 37th out of the tournament’s 39 teams, ahead of GNAC rival St. Joseph’s (ME) and Boston neighbor Wentworth Institute of Technology. The tournament was scheduled to conclude last night. The tournament was played at the Captains Golf Course in Brewster, MA, an over-6,600 yard, par-72 course. The Rams had five members finish the course on the day. Senior Pat Flaherty finished in 150th place overall with an 87, Barrett Beinecke came in at 164th with an 88, Chris Gray finished in 175th with a 90, and sophomores Pat Knowles and Alex Toma tied for 175th as they each shot a 91. 39 schools and nearly 200 golfers participated in the tournament. Next up for the Suffolk golfers is the annual GNAC Tournament on Oct. 24-25. The Rams finished sixth in the tournament last year.

Men’s cross country places in Saints Invitational

Both the men’s and women’s cross-country teams participated in the 2009 Saints Invitational at Emmanuel College last Friday. The women’s team did not finish in time to rank as a team, but had individual runners finish. Freshman Emily Farr finished 84th overall with a time of 24:33, and freshman Christina Webster finished 145th overall with a time of 37:14. The men’s team finished 14th out of 17 teams, with an average time of 32:05, just two minutes from qualifying for the top ten. Freshman John Blazo was the top finisher for the Rams, coming in 65th place with a time of 30:04. Sophomore Justin Mark came in 81st place with a time of 31:21, freshman Timothy Webber came in 90th with a time of 31:48 and freshman Matthew Bly came in 107th with a time of 33:35. The next meet is Saturday, as both the men and women participate in the Gordon College Invitational in Wenham, MA.

Volleyball splits GNAC tri-match

The women’s volleyball team dropped two of three matches this past week, splitting their GNAC tri-match last Saturday before falling to Emerson last night. In the tri-match, the Lady Rams dropped the opener to Norwich College by a score of 3-1 before coming back strong with a crushing 3-1 win over Albertus Magnus (25-11, 25-8, 23-25, 25-12) in the second match. Melissa Griffin, a sophomore, had a huge day for the Lady Rams, with seven aces and 22 kills over the course of the two games. Playing in her last home game, senior Kelsey Armstrong-Hann had two aces and six kills. Armstrong, who, according to the Suffolk Athletics Department website also serves as president of the Student Athlete Advisory Council (SAAC), was honored before the game after playing strong volleyball for the Lady Rams throughout her four-year college career. The Lady Rams are now 7-15 (3-7 GNAC) on the season, and have three matches remaining, all of which are on the road.