Staff Editor’s word: April 17, 2012

Boston University continued its torrid pace of bad decision making over the weekend when apparent pledges from a non-sanctioned fraternity home were found by police in a basement allegedly duct taped to each other in only their underwear, covered in flour and condiments, with red welts on their bare backs. This comes off the heels of the extremely controversial and offensive April Fool’s edition of The Daily Free Press in which recent sexual assaults on campus were made light of.
It’s one thing to have a good time in college. It’s a completely different story when students from a particular university continue to make bad decisions in light of recent events. There is a certain way to behave while receiving a higher education, and apparently BU students have not gotten the memo.
It is a shame to see such a highly respected university and a staple in the Boston community being reduced into nothing but a bad version of Animal House. It only gives everyone on campus a bad reputation, which is unfair for students who attend or have attended BU for a pure love of the school and to further themselves in the right way.
Boston University students need to realize that they represent each other and the institution, whether they like it or not. Sometimes it is unfair when people are guilty by association, but unfortunately that’s just the way it goes sometimes. Every time you step outside into the real world, it important to remember that you are often part of something that is bigger than you. This could be your job, school, or even your family. This is not to say that you should have to watch every move you make to preserve the reputation of outside forces. But there needs to be a balance of behavior that is generally acceptable. We are young and have been afforded the benefit of making a few mistakes. Just remember that some mistakes can have further damage than others.