Editor’s word: Nov. 4, 2009

We, as a student newspaper, strive to inform the Suffolk community – all of the Suffolk community – about the goings on in all areas of interest, including those in the arts on campus and in Boston. This city is a vibrant one, full of culture and art of all different levels and kinds. As Suffolk is a diverse community, full of differing opinions, likes, and dislikes, it is only fair that the newspaper reflect that diversity.

The band in question strives to offend its audience and the author of the article stated as much. In the spirit of that band, the headline and graphics were chosen to reflect the content of the article and its subject, however the Journal regrets the use of the words “Anal Cunt” as the only words in the headline. That was an ill-advised decision and this newspaper will likely never use such a headline again, as we are drafting an obscene language policy.

However, whatever personal opinions of some members of the Suffolk community regarding the article, it was written for those people that enjoy the music of Anal Cunt and appreciate them as an art form, as well as for those who don’t listen to their music, have never heard of them, but might enjoy them. These are general reasons any band gets reviewed, and those bands and their lyrics or song titles do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Suffolk Journal staff, but they are necessary to include in a review.

Art is sometimes offensive. It is sometimes obscene. It is sometimes beautiful and mysterious and colorful and happy and depressing and lonely and awe-inspiring and hateful.

The Suffolk Journal is not in the business of censorship. And no one on this campus, the editorial staff of this newspaper included, is wise enough to say what is art and what isn’t – because it is in the eye of the beholder.

Thank you for reading.

Sincerely,

The Editors