Cross-Country teams finding success in fun-filled season

Mike Giannattasio
Journal Staff

The members of the Suffolk University men’s and women’s cross country teams are always working hard to achieve their goals. The team is having a great season and most importantly all the players are having fun.

The men’s and women’s cross country teams have had four races thus far, and both teams have had success. The men’s team recently finished in second place at the Rivier College Invitational while the women’s team placed third.

Karen McKetchnie is the coach of the men’s and women’s cross country teams, and she said she has several goals for the squad the rest of the season.

“I would like for everyone to stay healthy and injury free,” said McKetchnie.  “I would like to have enough runners participate for both the men and women in the remaining meets, so we don’t get disqualified.  I would like to continue growing both the men’s and women’s teams for the future.” McKetchnie added that she has enjoyed coaching the team this season.

“I’ve enjoyed the enthusiastic energy the team exudes on a daily basis,” said McKetchnie. “This is a team of well-rounded individuals committed to making a positive contribution to the Suffolk Community.

“Not only are they athletes, but they are members of SGA, tutors in the Ballotti Learning Center, members of the Model UN, and volunteers at S.O.U.L.S.”

Corey Allen is a junior at Suffolk and this is his third season running on the men’s team. Allen said he would like to capture a few of his personal goals by the end of the season.

“My freshman year coming to Suffolk, I dropped several minutes off my initial first race,” said Allen, a psychology major originally from Marietta, Georgia. “I plan on trying to repeat that season, and doing my best to keep setting personal records.”

Allen ran short distance track throughout middle school and high school so he decided to join the cross country team his freshman year. It was the right decision, as Allen said he has enjoyed being on the club.

“It’s great just how close the team gets by the end of the season, as we become a family and lifelong friends,” said Allen.

Bianca Bellot is a sophomore and a first-year runner on the women’s cross country team. She decided to join the team to meet more people and to be a part of an athletic team at Suffolk.

Bellot, who is from Hudson, New Hampshire, said she is having a blast being a member of the team.

“I love being able to do something I enjoy every day,” said Bellot, a sociology major. “My goals for this season are to support my teammates, run every race to my fullest potential, be confident, and improve as a team.”

Upcoming races for the men’s and women’s cross country teams are the Emmanuel College Invitational on October 15, followed by the Gordon College Invitational on October 24.

The players composing the men’s team are Allen,  John Blazo, Matthew Bly, Allen Brooke, Clayton Fleener, Brian Harrington, Justin Mark, Davidson McGuffie, Erik Paine, Ryan Sechovicz, Tejsvee Singh, Tului Temuujin, Timothy Webber, and Tommy Wisdom.

The players composing the women’s team are Bellot, Cidney Carver, Bridget Evangelista, Emily Farr, Allyson Johnson, Natalie Pons, Cori Simmons, and Christina Webster.