Students of color need to feel more appreciated

Originally from Nigeria, as an incoming freshman, I was under the impression that I would be in a diverse community with students from many different backgrounds; this observation was true.

This past fall semester was my first at Suffolk University and my expectations were high but eventually were not met. One of the reasons they fell flat was because professors had not been making an effort to reach out or contact students to find out how they could go about or understand the executive order regarding the Muslim Ban.

The white population at the university makes up 44 percent of the ethnicities and takes up important roles as students and faculty. They are the majority and could create a more involved role by making minority groups feel welcome in class, at work and in the dorms because as of right now, they do not do well.

During the presidential election between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, I was under the impression that Trump was certain to lose only because he had made shocking, obnoxious and shameful remarks about people in terms of religion, gender and ethnicity.

In one of his speeches, when referring to Mexicans, Trump said, ”They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

Moreover, president Trump expected Barack Obama to hold African Americans accountable for crime because of his race and position of power. Trump had said “Our great African-American president has not exactly had a positive impact on the thugs who are so happily and openly destroying Baltimore,” on Barack Obama, who has done more for America than other U.S. Presidents.

These are examples of Donald Trump’s lack of basic knowledge about social awareness and the reasons behind why I thought he would lose the election.

“Some Caucasian students may protest on different occasions, but do not see it as a long time commitment because they can’t relate to the hurdles or barriers a black person may have to overcome in their lifetime,” said John Olubambi, a business student at Suffolk. His reason for saying this is clear and incisive.

Despite Trump making these comments directed to minority group members throughout his career, the white majority at Suffolk University has not done enough to condemn his Muslim Ban and other executive orders.

The white population at Suffolk could contribute more by organizing nonviolent protests against the order outside Suffolk buildings, or have the president of the international student association condemn the order. Instead, there have been some students just sit back, indulge in privilege and watch the nation get divided by a man with no political experience because it has no impact on them or their friends.

My expectations for society are high and I believe that they need to do more to better this world. More people should ask themselves, “How can I help?” when it comes to racism, sexism, Islamophobia, homophobia and other hate speech.