Lack of diversity in politics leads to strife
Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.
Email This Story
It is tiring to watch old white men continue to lead this country into the dark ages. They are a misrepresentation of the United States and everything that we stand for, especially the ones who identify with the beliefs of President Donald Trump.
With a predominantly white, male cabinet, Trump does not represent the U.S. By 2055, the country is expected to have no ethnic or racial majority, according to the Pew Research Center. As a whole, 46 percent of the population will be white but the other 54 percent will be divided by other races, such as Black, Hispanic or Asian.
That being said, it is time for the “old white men” to be voted out of their positions and a new era of different races, genders and identities to take over to represent a diverse nation. Although the 19 Amendment was ratified in 1920, women still only make up one fifth of Congress and the House. Moreover, there are only seven openly gay Congress members, according to the New York Times.
There is little representation in politics for many Americans, which is troubling. How are we supposed to be portrayed accurately if the people running the nation are not diverse?
Early in 2016, The Washington Post reported on the lack of diversity within Congress and state legislatures. Only 17 percent of Congress was a minority and only 14 percent state legislatures while the U.S. population is made up of 38 percent of minorities. The people within the U.S. are a much larger number compared to the political positions, so this is disappointing.
Consequently, it’s no surprise that the U.S. is in a political uproar with a deep division through the country. The men who are currently running the country do not have most Americans values and needs in mind. For example, President Trump is a businessman focused on the economy and is treating the nation like a company that he can do whatever he wants to.
The reality is that we are not a business. We are not inanimate objects that can be pushed to the side and be complacent. There are basic needs that many Americans live without, such as clean water in Flint, Mich. that Trump and many legislators are glazing over, so the people protest and rebel for their basic needs and rights.
It is difficult to fight for one’s rights in a country run by a uniform administration and legislation. When you are under represented or not portrayed at all, it is challenging to have hope in a place you love so much and to have hope in others, especially with no one in power to relate to.
Within the next few years, America must stand up and fight for their representation in politics. In recent times, many citizens have brushed politics to the side and Trump is the consequence of those actions. Americans must be more civically active to create the nation they want to see.
There were 100 million people did not vote in the recent presidential election, according to the Washington Post, leaving the country in shambles and many pointing fingers. The only ones who are to blame for such a divisive population are the ones who did not cast their vote and thus left many questioning the future of the U.S.
Although we have had past mistakes with being civically involved, now is the time to change the past to have the future better represent U.S. citizens. In upcoming elections, it is necessary for all or the majority of Americans to be aware of politics.
It is time to take politics away from the white men.