Davis lifts men’s soccer to best season since 2011

Courtesy of Suffolk Athletics

Jarrett Davis has been playing good soccer, to say the least, as he puts it himself.

“I’ve been putting [the team] in the position to win,” said Davis in an interview with The Suffolk Journal. “[Senior Forward Alberto Bittan, Freshman Forward Christian Restrepo, Senior Midfielder Aaron Haggas and Sophomore Midfielder Jordan Casey] finish the goals I assist.”

With his four-game assist to lead the Rams to a 5-1 win over Anna Maria College on Oct. 15, the 18-year-old midfielder was nominated for Herosports.com DIII Men’s Soccer HERO of the Week on Oct. 19. Davis said the voting process, such as talking to people and having his name spread across social media to collect votes was fun, even though he lost the contest by two votes, which he said he did not take to heart.

“[The nomination is an] honor, but at the same time, it’s an individual goal and I’m focused on team goals, the [Great Northeast Athletic Conference] GNAC and [National Collegiate Athletic Association] NCAA,” said Davis. “Hopefully, there’s more to come.”

Besides helping the team win games, Davis was named with his first collegiate career Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Corvias Rookie of the Week honor on Oct. 10 for leading the Rams over Mount Ida College with a pair of goals, two assists and tallying six shots on goal to give the Rams a 4-0 shut out win over the Mustangs.

Prior to the start of the season, Davis came to the university expecting to do very well as a team.  The Rams 8-9 record as of Tuesday night following their 8-0 shutout loss at Dean College of Franklin, Mass. However, their current 8-9 record is the program’s most winningest record since their 7-10-1 record in 2011, according to the athletics website, which dates back to 2002.

“I’m really enjoying playing right now, day in and day out with the team,” said Davis. “[Playing soccer] has been really fun.”

He credits his personal season success as well as the team’s overall season success to their ability to communicate with one another on the field.

“We have a connection, it just feels natural,” said Davis. “We’re talk on the field.”

The team lost a handful of games Davis wished they had won this season, like a 1-0 loss over Saint Joseph’s University, where the Hawks “kind of took the [Rams] play down.” He hopes to verse the Hawks in the semi-finals.

Davis wants to continue playing with consistency as a team to see better game results, especially in their GNAC Quarterfinals against Albertus Magnus on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. at their home field at East Boston Memorial Park. The Rams 2-1 conference win over Rivier University on Oct. 22, which was also the Rams senior day, gave them the home field advantage for the first round of the playoffs.

“We look forward to defending our home field,” said Davis.

Davis asks for fans to come and support the Rams on Saturday and he anticipates a big crowd and an “awesome” playoff game.

“I am just excited about playing for the school in the playoffs,” said Davis.