What happened to the discounted pass?

Frustrated students want benefits from the MBTA

When Suffolk first opened as a commuter school, and even though it has slowly opened up more and more residence halls, 76 percent of the Suffolk University students commute.

The MBTA website said that the student discount only extends to middle and high school aged children but in June it was announced that a program would start in which college students with low income would get a student rate of $30 for the subway- more than half of the normal price for a regular T pass.

If a cheaper system were in effect, then we would not have a problem.  However, the fact that only middle and high school students have a discount is infuriating because most probably have their parents pay for it. Most of us in college have a pile of loans and debt but apparently that is not an equivalent to the needs of a high school student.

First of all, your college has to sign up for the Student Pass Program, which will give you the option to buy a commuter rail pass, which also works on subway and buses, or a link pass. However, if you miss the sign up for the student pass program, you are going to have to wait until the next semester to buy one with the student rate. Clearly, MBTA has not successfully figured out a way to meet every student’s needs.

I am a commuter student and I had no idea that there was a deadline to buy a pass. In fact, I checked my email in June and I had only one message informing me that I needed to buy it by the deadline. I am now paying $200 per month for my pass to commute into the city.

There must be tons of students who also missed this email or just assumed that they could buy a Charlie Card at any time with a student rate. While some students are blaming Suffolk for the commuter rail and T pass problem, I think the real fault lies in the MBTA. The MBTA has stated that they want to work with colleges and students to make transit more affordable.

To be honest, I brought my old high school ID on the commuter rail a couple of times to see if they would just let me get the discount. While that worked the first couple times once the July 1st price hikes took effect they actually checked my graduation year. So that plan went out the window.

Students all over campus are now claiming that the discounted passes are running out and they are being put on wait lists. This is ludicrous considering there are a variety of different colleges and universities in Boston and its surrounding areas. The fact that they ran out two weeks after school began speaks to their preparedness, and when I called and inquired about a discount for my pass, the MBTA operator suggested I go talk to my school.

I also asked about a student discount in general for college students and they said student rates only applied to students under 17 unless you signup through your University. The MBTA seems to be giving out mixed messages to everyone and it seems nearly impossible to get an accurate answer from anyone affiliated with them.

At this point, with the price hikes the MBTA has put in place, students have to pay astronomically high amounts of money per semester to commute to school. It feels like they are taking advantage of the commuters and even people who live on campus and just want a Charlie Card. At this rate, I might as well be living on campus and save myself the headache of all the MBTA melodrama.

As of right now, your best chance at saving yourself an unnecessary expense is to watch your email closely and wait for spring semester passes to go on sale.  Until then, it appears MBTA will keep up its antics.