Troupe chooses laughter, first

Courtesy of Claire Boyle

Courtesy of Claire Boyle

Courtesy of Claire Boyle

Some students choose to express their passion. Whether it’s on the field or stage, students of Suffolk University choose to be involved in their university. For Seriously Bent, one of the two sketch comedy groups on campus, they’ve chosen to make people laugh.

Despite losing their manager, which caused turmoil for the executive board, naming two new captains to handle their affairs, it seems Seriously Bent is looking for serious success.

Recently, the laughing crew finished second at the College Improv Tournament National Championship in Chicago this spring and snagged the title of first in the Regional College Improv Tournament in 2014.

Junior theater major Claire Boyle looks forward gaining new relationships and expanding her network of current members and alumni.

“I think growing as a team, especially with new members is going to be great,” said Boyle. “We didn’t lose any seniors, so, because there was no loss, that means we, as a team, get to spend more time together and get stronger.”

Evoking laughs at various comedy hot spots around Boston, the group is known for doing productions with other schools in the area, like Northeastern University and Brandeis University, according to Boyle.

“We’re hoping to go to Clark University [Worcester, MA],” she said. “Their improv group has come to us in the past, so it would be cool to go to them.”

Unlike most  performing arts groups, Seriously Bent will not be as affected by the Temple Street buildings sale. Their performances mainly took place on a weekly basis in the 150 Tremont Street basement  every Thursday. However, at the end of every year, they produce their own two-hour revue with the PAO.

“The Seriously Bent End Revue is a special show for the group,” said Associate Director of the Performing Arts Office Kathy Maloney.

“It is unlike any of the other shows they do all year. It combines the type of improv and structures that everyone has enjoyed watching the group perform regularly at their weekly residence hall shows and other performances around town with some self written sketches.”

Behind Seriously Bent’s success is ImprovBoston member Tony Passafiume who gives guidances and support on different ways and techniques to get the crowd laughing.

With Passafiume involved, the group is excited about working toward this year’s upcoming Regional College Improv Tournament, which acts as the qualifier for a trip to the National Championship in Chicago, as well as their own revue at the end of year and hosted improv festival, according to Blackburn.

“It’s nice to be a part of something,” she said. “I know that I’ve made friends that will last throughout my college career.”

According to sophomore Allison Blackburn, the group meets twice a week, outside of their scheduled Thursday performances at 150 Tremont basement to write their own sketches, do exercises to build up their skill-set, and do a workshop to improve on their ideas as a way to prepare for the show.

This fall, they plan on holding their annual fall semester auditions around the third week of September to get a sense of the incoming potential talent, and are open to taking new members, according to the group.

Check out Seriously Bent performances at all of the upcoming orientations and involvement fairs.