Letter to the editor: SGA elections at pivotal time for Suffolk community

Dear Editor,

Next month, the Student Government Association will hold its annual elections, and they could not come at a more pivotal time for the Suffolk University community.

We as a student body, facing significant adversity during these past few weeks, have made our voices heard to ultimately create real change within the Board of Trustees, a seemingly impossible feat to achieve just weeks ago. It is now up to you to continue this unprecedented momentum and participate in the upcoming SGA elections, held from March 7 to March 9.

This Thursday, nomination packets will be available to this university’s aspiring student leaders for 40 open positions within SGA for the 2016-2017 academic year, including: nine Senator positions for each class and nine senator-at-large positions eligible to all students who wish to run different sectors of our very diverse campus.

I encourage any interested student to find out more information on running for a position within our office. There will be an elections information session on Tuesday, Feb. 16 at 1 p.m. in Donahue 403, where we will field all your questions to ensure you feel adequately prepared to run for your position of choice.

Our current president, Colin Loiselle, will graduate this May, and a new president will need to be elected. Replacing Colin will be no easy task, and it is up to you, the student body, to make sure the next leader who serves as SGA president will be the best choice to move the school forward. We must build off of the momentum we have all created in the past few weeks. There are many student issues that need to be addressed, and we must start by electing the student leaders who will lead this charge head on.

As students, you demonstrated how activism on campus can foster real change and make a difference in how this school operates. The importance of recent events cannot be overstated, nor can the impact of preparing for the events that have yet to occur will have on the future of this university.

If you are somebody who cares strongly about the well-being of Suffolk University, or has a vested interest in the students being well represented, I urge you to consider running for SGA and ask that you vote in elections in just a few weeks. Keep up the good work, #RamNation!

Sincerely,

Sean M. Walsh

Vice President

Student Government Association