Family Weekend gathers Suffolk community

Courtesy of Suffolk University’s Facebook

Family Weekend was concluded by the Night of the Museum event at the Museum of Science on Saturday with groups from the Performing Arts Office providing entertainment while families explored select museum exhibits.

The weekend consisted of a 5K run, a flag football game that pitted classes against each other, a double header women’s volleyball game and a “Fun Fair” hosted by the Student Government Association and Program Council. However, Night at the Museum in its second year as a Family Weekend event was the highlight.

Sometimes referred to as Homecoming, Family Weekend aims to attract alumni as much as current students and their families. The Night at the Museum event, however, was well-attended by a majority of freshmen, who were greatly impressed by the turnout.

To freshman Kristy Fitzpatrick, the large group of first-year students was a nice way to bond with her class.

“It did end up being a lot of freshmen, which is nice because we were able to have our families interact and we were able to be in a really cool part of Boston,” she said. “It really was a great social experience for the Suffolk community.”

W!cked, Suffolk University Dance Company, Step Team, Rampage, Trxbe, Rhythm, the Ramifications, the Musician’s Network and Pasion Latina showed off their talents in exciting performances staggered throughout the night. The performances seemed to be the biggest hit of the night, with attendees surrounding the makeshift stage and cheering for their classmates.

“I liked how they had all of our performance groups there to keep people entertained and the science museum exhibits were open,” said freshman Bria Hughes.

Though a majority of the museum was closed during the event, students and families strolled throughout the open area, exploring exhibits featuring electricity, ecology, and physics.

The venue gave students a way to connect with their peers and families while visiting a popular Boston attraction. Some freshmen, like Liv Dorak, attended without their families, but enjoyed themselves nonetheless.

“It was really entertaining and intriguing to me. I’m not from here, so it was fun to go to the science museum,” said Dorak.

A sense of community was established at the Night at the Museum event, Fitzpatrick shared.

“I think that the social atmosphere was very positive and uplifting, and everyone was so proud to be a Ram,” said Fitzpatrick.

President Margaret McKenna was amongst the attendees who spent the night mingling with students, parents and alumni.