Your School. Your Paper. Since 1936.

The Suffolk Journal

Filed under InstaRam

Interview: STEW

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Hello class of 2019! As part of the orientation experience, we decided to interview Suffolk alumni, STEW performer (and InstaRam founder) Corinne Decost on her thoughts on Orientation and STEW. Read on to find out her thoughts!

 

What’s been your favorite part about rehearsing for STEW?

1. My favorite part of rehearsing for STEW was definitely getting to know the cast and crew. I love each and every one of them, and I’m going to miss seeing them every week.

Also, it’s weird to know this will be the last time I’ll ever be performing in the C.Walsh. There’s a bunch of little things in the show: the cartwheel I do during the finale in the same direction I did a cartwheel in my first PAO show – Shakespeare in Hollywood in 2012, and the shoes I wear in the show are the same shoes I wore in my first ever Suffolk production – Sitcom in the 2011 Fall Showcase. It’s bittersweet, and I know I’m absolutely going to cry when the last show ends. The Performing Arts Office offered me so many things when I was at Suffolk, and I don’t want to leave them behind!

Thinking back to your own orientation, what was your favorite part of it?

2. I totally hated my orientation. It wasn’t anybody’s fault either – I didn’t really vibe with anybody in my group, so I didn’t really make any friends, and because of that, it was NO fun. I didn’t really feel like I fit in at all. In a way it was good, because by the time I came to Suffolk, I had prepared myself to make the best of what I had around me and put myself out there to make the friends I hadn’t made. And, since I spent a lot of orientation alone, I signed up for EVERYTHING, and I had no trouble settling in in the fall.

That’s actually one of the reasons I got involved with orientation – I never had the time to be an OL, but I figured, if I can entertain the incoming students, I at least added something positive to their orientation experience.

What are three things you would tell the class of 2019?
3. One, get involved. If what you want to do doesn’t exist – make it happen. I founded the sketch comedy troupe at Suffolk for exactly that reason, and it was one of the best things I have ever done.

Two, be ready for things to get scary. This is the first time in your life where you are in charge of everything that happens to you. And, you’re only maybe 20% through your life – how are you expected to make decisions that impact the remaining 80%? I’m 22 and employed with benefits, and I still don’t have anything figured out. Give yourself an out, not everything needs to be decided on right away.

Three, take time for yourself. During college, I was the busiest person ever. I was a cofounder of InstaRam (yes, this InstaRam), the founder and artistic director of the sketch comedy troupe on campus, I was part of at least 1 theatre department or PAO production every semester, I was on the public relations committee, and on top of that, I worked 4 different jobs and 3 internships over my 4 years. By my last semester, I was completely burned out. It’s okay to take time for yourself, and it’s okay to do nothing at all every once in a while. That being said, keep yourself accountable!

And um, four. In college, friends come and go, schedules change constantly, you’ll have a billion jobs, lovers come and go, and really nothing is a constant to depend on. So, cherish these things while you have them. The memories are what will last forever.

What do you think that the incoming class should take away from Orientation?
4. There is way too much information to take away from orientation. Even if you retain NONE of the details, you’ve at least gotten a basic idea of where things are and how to get the information you need. Research the groups that really interested you during the involvement fair. Keep in touch with any friends you made at orientation, so you have some familiar faces when you return this fall. You’re going to have an amazing time, so make the most of it!

 

We hope you enjoyed that, and welcome to the Ramily! (we’re corny, we know)

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Your School. Your Paper. Since 1936.
Interview: STEW