Alumni board encourages engagement of new graduates

When students first attend Suffolk, whether it’s as a new student or as a transfer, they are told about the benefits of becoming involved. There are courses designed to engage students in this way, and a variety of off-campus events held at various places seek to do this.

Students graduating this spring could benefit from alumni engagement, though, according to Steve Skiffington, president of the Suffolk’s College Alumni Board. Skiffington believes alumni engagement is not only about being involved and meeting others, it’s about paying it forward to Suffolk graduates.

Skiffington currently works as Director of the Northeast at Veolia, and has hired several interns and employees throughout his time there.  An alumnus of the undergraduate class of 1983, and graduate class of 1993, Skiffington said his “whole purpose in life is to give back to current students and new graduates and keep the network together.”

Elizabeth Conley, managing director of alumni engagement, works with Skiffington and to develop a variety of activities for alumni to participate in, such as fundraisers, local charity work, social outings, and outreach.

Suffolk alumni pose for a picture after a reception they held in San Diego.

In his role as president of the alumni board, Skiffington said, “We start with four board meetings a year, and in those board meetings we try to break that up between exterior events, homecoming, graduation, and opportunities to do internal things like going to classes at  the business school and doing outreach … I also team up with Elizabeth once a week.”

Recently, Skiffington attended Accepted Students Day, and spoke to a group of about 100 parents about his success as a Suffolk graduate.

“I’m thrilled to be able to give back to Suffolk … For the first five years, it’s all about getting plugged into the network. It’s not about money.” Skiffington said that students can “give 10 dollars a year, get on the mailing list, and participate in alumni events.”  After graduating, a newsletter titled “PanoRAMa” acts as a geographical database that lets students know where Suffolk alumni are working all over the nation.

Membership in the GOLD Council, which stands for graduates of the last decade, provides a way for former students to become involved in Admissions, Career Services, the Alumni Association and Annual Fund, according to Suffolk’s GOLD Council page.

While still a student, a resource Suffolk seniors can use is Suffolk 365, a website that provides an idea of where Suffolk alumni are working in their respective fields.

In this way, students can reach out to alumni for an informational interview, to job shadow them, or to simply ask them if their employer is hiring.

Skiffington said he would like to see more students become involved: former students with the alumni office, and current students with both alumni and the office.

“It’s not as evolved as I’d like to see. I’d like to see more students get more people, and inform more students that our services exist,” he said.

Skiffington has been nominated for and will serve as alumni representative to the trustee board starting in the fall.