Some students felt underprepared for summer internship fair

Craig Martin/Journal Staff

Suffolk prides itself as a school that helps to ease students’ transitions into the working world. One way the university is able to do so is by hosting the Summer Internship Fair, where students are able to meet and mingle with potential employers.

Hordes of students filled the open space on the ninth floor of the 73 Tremont building Thursday, and despite the heat inside the room, students were dressed in business attire and carried copies of their resumes to present to employers.

A diverse group of possible employers were on campus with fields that relate to almost every major that students can have.

“We had a lot of employers interested in talking to our students. We even had to put some people on waiting lists just because the demand was high,” said Gary Wallace, associate director for the Career Development Center. “We always try to have an even balance of the mix of different types of majors.”

Students were also given packets with information about the companies so they could easily find the employers they would want to work for.

[nggallery id=23]

“I’m in line for ABM Industries because they are recruiting accounting majors and I am interested in finance,” said Jelaya Kennedy, a sophomore accounting major.

Some students weren’t aware of the fair until a friend had told them about it. Karli Jacobs, a junior advertising major, said that she didn’t have any resumes with her, but she felt that the fair has given her a perspective of what types of places she should be looking for to get an internship.

“I didn’t know until a friend told me about it and I got off work early so I decided to check it out. I feel underprepared but the turnout of the event is very impressive,” said Jacobs. “All the tables are very informative and I can get insight on the summer internships and have ideas of places to apply in the summer.”

For junior Uyen Truong, an information systems major, this was the first time she talked with potential employers. Like Jacobs, Truong felt unprepared, but saw the fair as a learning opportunity so that when she gets to meet with employers, she will have enough experience to know how to better interact with them.

“It’s pretty shocking to me because it’s my first experience. I don’t know exactly what questions to ask them and I’m a little scared because it is my first experience,” said Truong. “I will learn from this fair and do better for the next one.”

Students left feeling impressed with how the event was easy to navigate through. Even first-timer Ariel Thornton was able to find the companies she would be interested in working for. She expressed interest in working for the Joslin Diabetes Center where she believes has great research opportunities.

“I’ve never been to an event like this so it’s definitely a learning experience,” said Thornton, a second year biology major. “I hope to possibly get an internship and learn more in my field.”

The Career Development Center has also been keeping track of how many students actually get internships through this event, and said that up to 60 students are usually hired every summer.

The Career Development Center wants students to know they are always trying to help them attain internships and jobs after the fair ends.

“We track [the amount of students hired] every summer,” said Peter McQuaid, the director for internships. “Fifty to 60 students get internships every summer, but there might be more since some students do obtain internships but they do not inform us.”