New cultural dance group to bring African hip-hop

Suffolk University has new dance group called Trxbe. Trxbe, pronounced “tribe,” was founded by Osamede Ogbeifun and had its first meeting on March 26.

Ogbeifun, freshman business management major, believes that this is not an ordinary dance group. This dance group “seeks to enlighten people about African hip hop and let them know that Africa has more than one style of dance.”

“It is also a place where people can come and express themselves through dance,” she said.

Ogbeifun founded the club because when she went to the Temple Street Fair she could not find an African dance club or anything close to it.

Dancing has always been part of Ogbeifun’s life, and she has  met a lot of Africans who love to dance. Instead of waiting for someone else to start an African dance group, she decided to start one of her own.

Skot Lindstedt/Journal Contributor

Trxbe’s first meeting was largely attended by women, but Ogbeifun said that she hopes to recruit more men soon.

The club has only been in existence for less than two weeks, but they are already scheduled to have their first performance at the Caribbean Student Network fashion show on April 18.

The first auditions for the dance group will be held after the CSN fashion show because the group will have had more exposure by then, according to Ogbeifun. In regards to the audition, students will be taught a routine and will be asked to perform.

In addition to that, she anticipates that there will be a freestyle section to show each person’s individual strengths.

The club’s president is working in conjunction with the Performing Arts Office to schedule a practice time and location.

The group is looking to recruit dancers with experience, but students who are new to African hip hop and are fast learners are welcome. Students who want to join the club can attend one of their meetings at 1 p.m. on Thursdays, or email the president at [email protected].