Smith cleared of accusation made by anonymous whistleblower

Norman Smith Courtesy of Suffolk University

Interim President Norman Smith was found to have broken no laws after an anonymous complaint against him was filed through the university’s whistleblower reporting system in January, officials said.

Suffolk has a whistleblower policy that encourages employees to report issues and concerns.

“It is the policy of Suffolk University that all employees be free to report, without fear of retaliation, activity occurring in University operations that the reporting person believes in good faith to be illegal, dishonest, unethical or fraudulent,” reads the policy, which is accessible through Suffolk’s website.

Once a report is filed, claims are investigated confidentially.The university uses the company EthicsPoint, Inc. as a system for filing complaints, which can be reported online or through a toll-free number, according to the website.

Smith was accused of “age discrimination,” university spokesman John Nucci said in a statement.

“Consistent with university policies and procedures, the matter was promptly investigated by outside counsel and it was determined that there was no violation of policy or law and the investigation was closed,” the statement said.

Nucci in the statement declined to comment further on the incident, citing university policy. Smith did not respond to requests for comment.

Smith became head of the university when former president James McCarthy left days before the fall 2014 semester began.

Attorneys from the university’s Office of the General Counsel investigate whistleblower reports with assistance from other university officials, according to the policy. When the president, an attorney from General Counsel, or a member of the Board of Trustees is the subject of a complaint, outside individuals are appointed for review.