Editor’s word: Where are the SGA e-board candidates?

For a school with countless alumni in high-ranking positions and working in the fields they chose and studied during their collegiate years, Suffolk appears to have far too few students devoted and interested right now.

It is time for elections for the next executive board of the Student Government Association. One might think that the opportunity to have a powerful position on campus would draw a large group of candidates. However, the positions for 2015-16 SGA president, vice president, secretary, and treasurer have just one candidate each.

Why is it that more students do not want to throw their hat in the ring? The SGA e-board is one of the most important groups of leaders on campus. They talk regularly with administrators like the school president, handle budgets for clubs, promote the needs of the students, and host activities to make Suffolk a welcoming space.

The greater student body deserves an eager group of peers who will fight for the chance to represent their needs and wishes. It is troubling to see that only four students are up to the challenge.

And, with only four applicants for just as many positions, how can we rest assured that candidates will create change when there was no competition on the ballot? Or, how can we be sure the candidates are the very best for their positions if they did not have to campaign?

The SGA executive board has more opportunity than any other group of students to accomplish feats on campus. Whether that is sparking major change or something as simple as getting smokers off the sidewalk, the duty of supporting constituents is no small thing.

On the other hand, is it even worth worrying about how many candidates are running for these positions when voter turnout is consistently low?

The only thing students can hope for now is that these four candidates will be competent and the best fit for their respective positions.