Suffolk’s Asian clubs welcome Lunar New Year

Students packed the C. Walsh Theatre last Wednesday night to enjoy an evening of culture and celebration as they rang in the Chinese Lunar New Year.

The show, which was performed almost entirely in Chinese, was a collaborative effort between several different organizations from around the Boston area as well as student groups. All of the performers, while unique, brought a hearty dose of Chinese culture to Suffolk.

Although mainly organized by the Chinese Student Association and Taiwanese Student Association, several other campus organizations such as Student Leadership and Involvement, Techies Union, and the Center for Learning and Academic Success were involved in the planning and production process of the event.

“Without them we couldn’t do it,” said Hank Chen, president of the Taiwanese Student Association.

Both the TSA and CSA said they had tremendous help from Wayne Chin, the operative director of the C. Walsh Theatre.

“He has been extremely helpful,” said Chen.

The collaborative effort from across campus made the event possible, especially since the scheduled rehearsal times were canceled due to the extreme weather that caused the university to close both Monday and Tuesday.

“We weren’t prepared as we could have been due to the weather but we were glad that everybody was helping us,” said An Wang, president of the CSA.

Despite the bad weather, the event had a large turnout with approximately 300 people in attendance.

By Vincent Lin

The night opened with a traditional lion dance performed by several students. The performers, dressed in black, danced underneath ornate lion costumes, that weaved playfully through the audience and onto the stage.

Following the lion dance were several dance numbers presented by students as well as performers from outside the Suffolk community.

Two dancers, who are professors at Harvard, performed a number known as the Beijing Opera. The performance, which was a  combination of dancing, singing, and music featured brightly colored costumes and makeup.

Other performers who were called in from outside the Suffolk community included the Red Star Comedy Theatre of Boston University. The comedy troupe performed a sketch entirely in Chinese, although English subtitles were provided on a screen behind the performers. The performance was well received by the audience as the theatre resounded with laughter.

Following the comedy act, three Suffolk students, Jiayang Yu, Yuruo Jin, and Wang, performed a talent act consisting of music and painting. While Yu and Wang played the erhu  and Guzheng, two traditional Chinese instruments, Jin painted to the rhythm of the music, showcasing the romantic landscape she created as Yu and Wang played the final notes of their piece.

Performer plays the ancient Chinese instrument Guzheng.
By Vincent Lin

“Guzheng is an instrument with over 2,000 years of history … It is personal to me,” said Wang.

In addition to performers, Suffolk alumna Rita Wong, also took part in the celebration.

Wong donated assorted gift bags on behalf of Angel Beauty Inc., a salon in Chinatown. Packed with face masks and hair treatments. These gift bags were just another element that the crowd undoubtedly enjoyed.

Following the event, a buffet spread of fresh sushi, steamed vegetables, fried rice, and milk tea was set up in the fourth floor lounge of the Donahue building for all  attendees to enjoy.

Both the TSA and CSA meet weekly on Tuesday at 1 p.m.