Editor’s word: Suffolk won’t be the same without Donahue and Archer

After rumors swirled around campus that Suffolk was planning to sell the Donahue and Archer buildings, the university officially announced the move Tuesday.

Donahue and Archer are an essential part of Suffolk’s geography and appeal. We are a university scattered across the prestigious buildings of downtown Boston, nestled together by the State House. That becomes tattered if Donahue and Archer are gone.

This move comes after the sale of Fenton last summer and following a previous interest by the university to sell Ridgeway — a move that cannot be followed through until Suffolk finds a new space for the gym.

Many came to Suffolk attracted to the idea that the buildings are spread out through the city, in the historic streets of Boston, including Beacon Hill. Without that luxury, what will Boston be to some prospective students who are looking for that experience? Will they turn to schools like nearby Emerson instead?

Donahue is the hub of the College of Arts and Sciences campus life. It holds the university’s sole designated student activity space, rooms for student clubs, and multiple offices. While Archer was home to mainly science space that was planned to move to 20 Somerset, it is the building that bears the name of Suffolk’s founder, and would be a huge loss to students.

This is not to mention that both buildings are connected to the C. Walsh and Studio Theatres, two essential spaces for theatre majors, as well as the students who enjoy performing or watching their peers on stage.

And, without Donahue, where will Suffolk hold its treasured Temple Street Fair?

This impending sale is a hard hit to what makes Suffolk, well, Suffolk. The landscape of the school is changing in every sense. We started the year with an abrupt change in president, Dean Kenneth Greenberg announced he was stepping down to teach, and President Norman Smith has since created a new advertising campaign. Now, the physical landscape is changing too.

Some students are having a hard time imagining all the office and student spaces in Donahue will be able to fit in Sawyer, 20 Somerset, and 73 Tremont. Without a clear map or plan, it is hard to believe it will work seamlessly.

Though administration believes consolidating campus is the right move, the shock expressed across people’s faces when hearing about the move to put Donahue and Archer on the market says enough. Suffolk is changing, and this time it’s not in our best interest.