How To: New Semester Resolutions

We all know that with the dawn of a new semester comes the overwhelming urge to kick all of our bad habits and start fresh. We’ve got new professors, new class mates and the promise of a new “us.”  Whether formal or informal, we’ve all got a few new semester resolutions in our heads. And how could we not?

However, making the resolutions is the easy part. Following through is a little bit tougher. So how can we go from setting a goal to achieving it? Making the plans to seeing them through? Well unfortunately, if there’s a completely fool proof formula, I don’t know what it is. I do however, have a tip or two that can help you follow through with our new semester resolutions.

1. Begin with a clean slate.

Cleaning out your dorm can really help in cleaning up your life! I like to start each new semester with a clean, emptied out desk, and new school supplies. And don’t ignore your tech stuff! Clean out your phone by deleting uneeded pics and unused apps. Clear off your laptop desktop and create a new folder for each of your classes. Be sure to check up on this organization several times throughout the semester. Starting off organized and staying that way leaves more time for you to focus on your goals.

2.       Write them down.

On a piece of paper. Save it as your cell phone background. Hang in up in your dorm or apartment and look at it every day. Seriously, just being aware of your goals at all times is huge factor in following through with them.

3.  Take advantage of Suffolk Resources!

Is your goal to do better in your classes? CLAS has a tutor for you! Is your goal to be more involved on campus? The JOURNEY Program can help you keep track of that! Is your goal to attend more events on campus? InstaRam posts a breakdown every week for you to check out! Whatever it is there’s someone there to help out!

4. Break your goals up into smaller goals!

“Get straight A’s” is pretty daunting, not to mention it’s going to take the whole semester to achieve. Try, “Create study guides for every chapter in the book” or “Participate in every class” or “See a tutor if I begin to fall behind.” With goals like these, you’ll be checking something off the list every day, and is there anything more satisfying than that? I don’t think so.

5. Reward yourself.

Is Netflix your guilty pleasure? Or maybe hitting up Newbury Street? Well hold off until you’ve finished that essay or you’ve hit the gym. You’ll be far more likely to finish what you need to if you have something to look forward to.

6. Believe in yourself.

Take a deep breath, you can do this, and you’re certainly not alone. The wonderful thing about Suffolk is that you’re surrounded by people who want you to achieve and are there to help you! If you get stressed out, just reach out. Someone will be there.