Editor’s word: Oct. 22, 2014

The New England School of Art and Design is one of Suffolk’s greatest assets, drawing creative students from across the country to the University’s unique and award-winning program.

And yet, NESAD doesn’t get the attention it deserves.

The building is segregated from campus, leaving some students completely clueless of its location through all their four years at Suffolk.

NESAD artwork can be found here and there across campus, but often, the pieces are outdated.

And now, the relatively-new illustration program is cut. It will still be available as a minor, officials said, but no longer as a major. Commencement 2015 will be the first ceremony to see NESAD graduates of the program.

It’s distressing to see one of the cherished majors at the art school suddenly cut with hardly any much notice to professors and students. Especially with it being fairly new.

This is not the first time Suffolk is ending a beloved program. In 2012, the school did away with its German major and also dissolved the department of education and human services.

Though it is understandable that universities must make cuts, especially in times of economic turmoil, it seems that some of the cuts here are to programs highly regarded by students.

NESAD gives Suffolk something special. Not every local university can say it has a stunning art and design program. So why is Suffolk limiting what it offers? Aspiring illustrators may pass over Suffolk now that the program is demolished.

Earlier this month, the Student Government Association asked President Norman Smith what his plans were for NESAD.

“I’ve only been here three weeks, but I love the arts,” he said.

Hopefully sometime in the near future Smith can get back to students with a concrete answer.

Will other programs be cut? Will NESAD ever be moved closer to the rest of campus? Will the school ever get the attention it deserves?

NESAD’s creative minds in students and professors alike add to the diversity Suffolk prides itself on fostering.

Suffolk should keep NESAD’s programs intact and give the school the clout it deserves.