Weekly Event Blog: October 6-October 10

Hello Suffolk Students! There are so many events to check out this week, be sure to check out some of them!

Monday 10/6

5:00 PM-7:00 PM: Family Dinner: Gayme Night

Join Rainbow Alliance for their monthly Family Dinner! There will be food, great discussions, and even greater company! (Miller Residence Hall)

9:00 AM-7:00 PM: Master of Arts in Graphic Design Thesis Exhibit

An exhibit of capstone projects from alumni who completed the Master of Arts in Graphic Design in May 2014 (Adams Gallery)

4:45-7 PM: Monday Night Oasis Supper Club!

Help serve meals at the Cathedral Church of St. Paul to those in need. Meet at the S.O.U.L.S. Center, Donahue 209, at 4:45 pm. This is a weekly opportunity limited to the first 5 volunteers who R.S.V.P. through SUconnect. (Donahue 209)

7:00 PM: Molière Malgré Moi (Moliere in Spite of Myself)

Presented by the French Theatrical Foundation

Discover Molière with the well-known actor of stage, screen, and television, Francis Perrin. In Molière Malgré Moi, Mr. Perrin, famous for playing such characters as Scapin, Alceste, and Philinte at the Comédié  Française, leads you through Molière’s life and career, linking his plays to his personal life, and presenting short sequences from his most well-known creations. Molière the entrepreneur, leader of men, boundless imaginative writer, insatiable lover of women: all come to life in this fascinating and touching play. The show, which has delighted audiences in France during the season’s summer festivals, will leave you uplifted and with a greater understanding of, and appreciation for France’s most famous playwright. The play will be presented in French with English subtitles. (Modern Theatre)

Tuesday 10/7

1:00 PM, 5:00: PM Dinner Theatre Auditions

Dinner Theater is a really fun show to be involved with, especially this year! Dinner Theater is an interactive murder mystery where the audience is served a three course delicious meal by a cast, as they drop clues (but not your dinner!) throughout the show. This year’s theme is “Enterprise: Deep Space Murder” which is a spoof on Star Trek. It is sure to be a hilarious show and a great way to get involved!

Auditions to be part of the cast are happening on Tuesday October 7. Prepare a short monologue and you will do cold readings. Sign up to audition at 1pm & 5pm outside of the PAO (Donahue 409).

Wednesday 10/8

4:00 PM-6:30 PM: Traitors, Spies, and Whistleblowers: National Security Leaks and the First Amendment

Lecture 4-5 p.m, Reception 5-6:30 p.m.

The Masterman Institute on the First Amendment and the Fourth Estate is hosting Boston College Law Professor Mary-Rose Papandrea. Professor Papandrea will speak about her research on whistleblowers, national security and the First Amendment. (Suffolk University Law School)

4:45 PM-8:30 PM: Greater Boston Food Bank

Volunteers will inspect, sort and pack donated grocery products that are then distributed to hunger relief agencies.  Volunteers will meet in the Center for Community Engagement, Donahue 209, at 4:45 and travel together to the site.  This opportunity is limited to the first 5 participants who RSVP on SUconnect. (Donahue 209)

4:45PM: Wednesday Night Paulist Center Supper Club!Help serve meals at the Paulist Center to those in need. Meet at the Center for Community Engagement, Donahue 209, at 4:45 pm. This is a weekly opportunity limited to the first 5 volunteers who R.S.V.P. through SUconnect. (Donahue 209)

Thursday 10/9

5:00 PM-6:30 PM: National Coming Out Day: Poetry Workshop

NOBODY PASSES: Inspired by the book “Nobody Passes: Rejecting the Rules of Gender and Conformity” (Edited by Mattilda Bernstein Sycamore, Seal Press) this workshop navigates the wild intersections of our identities and communities, taking a brave look at the ways we feel either authentic or fraudulent in our writing and/or lives. Writing and discussion based, this workshop explores light, easy topics such as race, gender, class, education and ability but also delves into our identities as writer/artist/teacher/student. Hosted by Rainbow Alliance (Donahue 403)

7:00 PM-8:30 PM: National Coming Out Day: Poetry Performance

Celebrate National Coming Out Day with a performance by poet and author Lauren Zuniga. Lauren provides a dynamic performance of spoken word poetry and music in a fluid, interactive style. She uses vivid imagery and keen literary craft to engage the audience and explore themes of social and self awareness.Lauren Zuniga is the author of The Smell of Good Mud from Write Bloody Publishing. She is a three time international slam finalist. Her work has been featured on Upworthy, MoveOn.Org, Everyday Feminism, Pank and Muzzle Mag. Hosted by Rainbow Alliance. Dinner will be served. (Donahue 403)

6:00 PM-9:00 PM: Fall Fest independent act auditions

Come audition for Fall Fest! This fun-filled musical extravaganza and variety show is an amazing way to start off the year at Suffolk and showcase YOUR talent. This year is Fall Fest’s 40th anniversary so it is sure to be an amazing show to be part of, and it will be a huge part of Homecoming weekend. Fall Fest is Suffolk’s longest-running arts tradition and a great way to become involved with the performing arts on campus right away and get on stage. Audition to be an independent act, either solo or with a group. Sign up for auditions and get more information in front of the Performing Arts Office (Donahue 409).

10-11PM: Seriously Bent Dorm Show! Come and get your laugh on at the always hilarious Seriously Bent weekly dorm shows! Seriously Bent performs every Thursday in the basement of 150 Tremont at 10pm. They are always switching up their improv shows, so there will always be something new and exciting. Make sure to check it out: laughter guaranteed! (150 basement)

8:00 PM: Fall Showcase

A collection of student written and directed one-act plays. The showcase runs 10/9-10/12 ,with shows at 8:00 Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and 3:00 on Saturday and Sunday.

Fire and Rain written and directed by Paige Monopoli

A dysfunctional Italian family learns to celebrate life and love in the darkest of times.

The Normal Election written and directed by Bobby Zupkofska

John Williamson (D) and William Johnson (R) are eagerly running to become the City of Normal’s first mayor. But when the press observes their private lives, what is revealed proves more than the citizens could imagine.

Boys, Beds, and Bad Decisions written and directed by Alexa R. Costa

A potent mix of ex-boyfriends, Netflix and frozen food produces a night Emma will never forget.

Almost Time written and directed by Tom Martin

New Year’s Eve brings a family together for one last night of laughing, crying, screaming, and dancing.  (Studio Theatre)

Friday 10/10

7:00 PM-9:00 PM: Rampage performing at Providence Bruins

Rampage, Suffolk’s Show Choir, will be performing at the Providence Bruins game on October 10. See Rampage’s amazing performance, and cheer on the Bruins!

8:00 PM: Fall Showcase

(Studio Theatre)