iExperia: America’s largest white party comes to Boston

By Stephanie Miller

The buzz on campus last week was about what was happening Thursday night, an event coming to town, promising an “extrasensory nightlife experience.”

The mysterious event was called “iExperia” and took place last Thursday at The Royale Boston. “iExperia”, also known as “America’s Largest White Party,” is a traveling event presented by Illumina Live with shows in Boston, Philadelphia, Dallas and Austin.

For Suffolk students, The Royale was the place to be last Thursday. While standing outside the 150 Tremont St. residence hall, you could see groups of students leave the building dressed in all white, glowing with anticipation for what the night had to offer.

Requiring the audience to dress nicely set the tone for the evening. By not allowing attendees to wear what typically comes to mind for EDM concerts, iExperia sets itself apart from all other DJ shows.

(Photo courtesy of iExperia)

“The dress code was what brought my attention to iExperia,” said freshman Siobhan Estabrook. “It made me feel really classy.”

The venue also helped add to the objective of the night as The Royale itself gives off an atmosphere of high class and elegance.

The Boston date featured Bamboora, Glowkids and Commerce. Bamboora is a Turkish DJ currently stationed in Boston. He has won the title of “Boston’s Best DJ of 2014” and has toured with house music giants such as Avicii, Tiesto and Calvin Harris.

Glowkids is a duo DJ act also representing Boston. The pair is a regular performer for all events by Illumina Live, including iExperia and the Illumina Live national tour. One member, Angela Bray, is a Suffolk alumna and former editor at The Suffolk Journal.

Originally from Brooklyn, N.Y., Commerce came to be a producer and DJ by playing warehouses in the underground hip-hop scene in his hometown. He has since moved to Boston to pursue a more electronic aesthetic and work with other up-and-coming DJs in the area.

Aside from the DJs, “iExperia” featured stage dancers, hoop performers and even a stilt-walker dressed as a robot. The stage performers dressed in futuristic, all white cirque-inspired clothing. The loud house music filled the venue as attendees danced with LED glow sticks that were given away for free. The music stayed continuous throughout the night, keeping the dance floor alive and the audience on their feet. Not even the set changes had a dull moment – when the DJs weren’t spinning the performers took center stage to entertain the crowd.
“iExperia,” unlike any other EDM show of its kind, also offered an intense and extravagant light show to compliment the complex stage performance and carefully selected, non-stop music. The night was full of great fashion, great music and great performance.

In addition to offering an extravagant show, “iExperia” offered safe travels to its attendees. The event teamed up with Uber, a cab service, and offered a free ride up to $25 for those who purchased tickets to the event. The coupon code was sent via email to attendees and was redeemable for the night as well as within the next week.