PAO announces shows for upcoming year

By Annie Walsh

Regardless of a Suffolk student’s experience on stage or field of study, Suffolk University’s Performing Arts office provides opportunities in the arts for all members of Suffolk.

PAO is the community arts center on campus, directed by Kristin Baker and Associate Director Kathy Maloney. The office, faculty, and student assistants are all passionate about the performing arts and putting on shows. They are the support and backbone of the student-run performing arts groups as well as the producers of several fall and spring showcases.

PAO “strives to connect Suffolk to the greater cultural world of Boston,” as stated on its website. With more than 10 different student arts groups, and more to come, the PAO is a great place for incoming students to get their feet wet by joining a club with a fun and rewarding atmosphere.

“The performing arts are a great way to connect with the Suffolk community, to get to know oneself, explore creativity, develop new skills, make friends, and have fun” states the PAO mission. “The belief that the arts have something to offer everyone – novice to expert, performer, techie, designer, audience member – is at the heart of what we do in the Performing Arts Office.”

Coming next from PAO: the 40th fall Fest Variety Show, the Dinner Theathre Murder Mystery, and “Spring Awakening.”
(Photo courtesy of PAO’s Facebook)

The office has a well-known reputation of being tremendously welcoming and open to all who have an interest in joining, even if they may have some reservations about auditioning. PAO encourages students to get involved in the arts community both at Suffolk and in Boston. InstaRam SU, The Musicians’ Network, and the Popular Ticket Series are a few of the PAO’s community outreach groups through which students can find various opportunities.

PAO hosts several community events throughout the year, giving undergraduate and graduate students, as well as faculty, the opportunity to come together and enjoy the arts. There are a number of new shows to look forward to and be a part of during the 2014-2015 year.

This fall is the 40th anniversary of the popular Fall Fest Variety Show.  Students are encouraged to audition to be part of the ensemble or perform independent acts of their choice.  There is also the annual Dinner Theater Murder Mystery that encompasses a different theme of murder each year.

The show allows for the audience to solve a unique mystery as they indulge in a delicious meal. This year’s theme, “Star Trek Murder Mystery,” is certainly a favorite theme of sci-fi fans, but is also enjoyable for anyone. Whether you want to be a part of the show or just watch, this is one performance you will not want to miss in the fall.

This spring, the PAO is proud to present a main stage production of the musical, “Spring Awakening” which will premiere in February. All of these productions will have open auditions this fall semester.

Sign-ups and information sheets for all of the groups at PAO as well as upcoming productions are available in the Performing Arts Office located in Donahue building, room 409.