Men’s Tennis continues success on the road

The Suffolk University tennis team has shown that it can win on the road and also pull through in tough matches.

The Rams have bounced back after their first defeat of the season against UMass.-Boston, and after that loss they had the daunting task of a four-game road trip.

The Rams faced Newbury College in their first away game of the week, and they pulled out a 6-3 win.

Vassili Stroganov played dominantly with a 6-0, 6-0 singles victory at the No. 4 spot.

Freshman Francesco Saia also showed that he has earned his position at No. 5 singles with his 6-2, 6-3 victory.

“I feel great,” said Saia. “Being a freshman, coming off two hard losses, it feels good to come back with two wins in singles and doubles.”

The day was won, but now they would have to deal with a back-to-back match challenge by playing Salem State the next day. Saia, after winning both his matches, felt confident about the game that would be played in less than 24 hours the Rams win.

“I hear they are a consistent team,” said Saia. “Just want to have a clear mind and be motivated to win, take it one game at a time.”

The Rams had a rough day against the Vikings when their No. 2 singles player and captain Drew Reilly had to retire from his match due to a shoulder injury.

Saia and Stroganov played in one of the hardest matches of the day in doubles against the Vikings. They both fought hard to send the match into sudden death after an 8-8 tie, where both players played well in a (10-6) victory to pull out a key win of the day.

On top of that victory, the Rams beat the Vikings 6-3 to improve their record to 4-1.

The Rams will face Bridgewater State, one of their toughest opponents all season, on April 10. Then they will finish their road trip against their first conference match up versus Johnson & Wales on  April 12.