Suffolk education helps Alum achieve dream job

A bachelor’s degree from Suffolk University is the goal of more than 5,000 students.  Landing a position in one’s chosen field is an obstacle facing students many today.  For Suffolk University Alumnus Ana Nichols, this is finally becoming a reality.

A member of the Class of 2010, Nichols graduated with a degree in public relations and journalism and was recently hired as an SEO accounts manager at 451 Marketing.  In her new position, Nichols is responsible for “overseeing the strategy development and executing of all SEO accounts,” according to a 451 Marketing press release.

“I wasn’t looking for any new opportunities,” says Nichols, 25, of Boston.  “But, I met the CEO on vacation last year and realized there were positions available.”

Nichols began at iProspect in October 2011 and stayed for two years.  She says that it helped train her for 451 Marketing.

Suffolk Alum Ana Nichols
(Photo courtesy of 451 Marketing)

Still, regardless of bullets on a resume, who you know is important.

“The whole time I was a student at Suffolk University, I was a waitress,” said Nichols.  “There were lots of people I met just by waiting on their table.  You have no idea who’s sitting next to you.”

For Suffolk students hoping for success, sometimes a chat with professors is the most valuable, according to Nichols.  They may hold the knowledge necessary for a successful career.

“Talk to your professors and career services.  Many professors already have other career experiences.”

At Suffolk University, Nichols studied both journalism and public relations and says that the skills she learned in doing so contributed to her position today.

“[From taking PR courses] I gained an understanding of how to work with compliances, and with journalism writing valid content is always good to know how to do,” says Nichols.  “As well as being creative, which I also got from taking journalism.”

As far as future prospects for Nichols, she has said that she is content where she is now.

“I’m happy now—I would eventually like to be a director of digital strategy or something else that I’m really passionate about.”

Nichols offers two pieces of advice to students.

“Girls, don’t wear flowy skirts in front of the Sawyer building,” she warned. But on a more serious note, she said, “Internships: graduate with as many as you can.”