Editor’s word: Sept. 25, 2013

Since all of our editors have been at Suffolk University, neither of Boston’s major newspapers has been available on campus for students. The Student Government Association offers USA Today and the New York Times in the Donahue lobby every day. While it’s great having papers available for free for students, a Boston-based university should have Boston’s biggest newspapers available to them.

At one time, Suffolk had the Boston Globe available along with the Times. It is believed SGA banned New England’s most recognizable paper on campus several years ago due to less-than-shining stories the Globe ran about former Suffolk president David Sargent. If this is the case, the SGA members who made this decision have since graduated.

It’s been at least three years since the last time the Boston Globe was offered on the Suffolk campus. To our knowledge, the Boston Herald has never been offered on campus. Suffolk is a university that prides itself on being in the heart of the city so its students should be offered the Hub’s top news sources. Suffolk even has a partnership with the Herald for its political polls. The university also hosted a mayoral forum that was sponsored by the Herald and NECN.

As for the Globe, Suffolk constantly promotes and encourages journalism majors to apply for the paper’s college co-op program each semester. There doesn’t seem to be any noticeable bad blood between the school and the Globe left over from the Sargent years. In fact, the Globe has written several positive pieces regarding President McCarthy and 20 Somerset.

While it’s nice to have the USA Today on campus as an alternate paper to the Times, having the Herald and/or the Globe would be more beneficial to students. The New York Times is in a class all its own when talking about newspapers, so it would be great to keep on campus in addition to the Globe and/or the Herald. Understandably, bringing one or both of these papers to Suffolk will dip into the SGA’s budget but it’s worth the cost.

Both papers provide more local content that would be beneficial to students than the Times or USA Today can offer. The Herald and the Globe also have working relationships in one way or another with the university, not that the standing Suffolk has with the two should matter in the first place. The newspaper initiative idea by SGA is a great idea and one the Journal staff is appreciative of. We would just like to see the two major Boston papers represented in some fashion.