Editor’s word: Sept. 18, 2013

If you’re reading this staff editorial, then you probably read or glanced at the front page story regarding the drug molly, a form of ecstasy. It’s a drug that has been in the news quite a bit lately, with more than a few of those stories regarding colleges or college students around New England. Our story is not meant to preach.

The story looks at how the recent deaths involving the drug have affected the campuses that the deceased students went to. It talks about how the drug is perceived in the club atmosphere and information on it, but in no way is it telling Suffolk students to do or not do molly. Like all news stories in The Journal, the objective of the piece is to inform.

We spotlighted molly because while its use has become more and more prevalent, much of our staff couldn’t tell you much else  other than the basics about what it is. I know several people who have tried it and even went to a show with someone who was on it at the time and it didn’t seem to me they knew a ton about it other than to have a water bottle handy.

Getting information to students about molly and going a bit deeper into what it is was certainly a driving reason for our piece, especially with the recent deaths. As a student newspaper, it’s our job to make our readers as informed as possible regarding Suffolk and the great city surrounding us.

Personally, the deaths hit home for me. Olivia Rotondo and Brittany Flannigan went to the University of New Hampshire and Plymouth State University, respectively. Being from New Hampshire, I am friends with at least a dozen kids at each school.

This was a story that I knew The Journal had the contacts, resources and staff talent to cover and cover well. More than a few hours were put into the story to make sure it communicated important information to our readers. As college students, we all are old enough to make our own decisions about what we choose to do or take.

The staff and I are also quite aware that preaching at our readers won’t change anyone’s mind about molly. Our goal was to simply present students with a sufficient amount of information and to provide insight on a drug that has become popular among our age group.

– Alex Hall, Editor-in-Chief